new tank set up!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by kima, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kima

kima New Member

I just redid the setup in my crested's tank. I think he likes it becuse he is jumping around like crazy on all the new vines. I might not be able to find him tomorrow though because of all the new hiding spots. I'll post some pics later. The tank looks really cool.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hatcher

Hatcher New Member

Sounds cool. I've recently got my 2 a new tank too, it's triangular in shape and full of leaves and vines. Still want to go bigger though, so they can jump further and enjoy themselves more!! Great fun to watch them hunt their crickets though - they do seem to hurl themselves around the cage!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

where are these pics??? lol sounds like they are having fun!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kima

kima New Member

They are coming my dad just has to download them. I'll probably have them in a week or so.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kima

kima New Member

Heres some pictures guys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/img]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. D_Money

D_Money New Member

Nice pictures man. Cute cresty too. If I were you I'd invest in a more vertical setup soon.

12. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

nice pictures as well and kool cresties but ditto $D$_Money$, get a vertical setup

13. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Very nice - Crestie and set up. And yeah, when you find a nice vertical setup - get it. Other than that, it looks great. Never thought about putting flowers in it.

How old is it? I like the orange around the eye on the crests.

14. kima

kima New Member

Thanks, field_hockey_gal he was born in July but on exactly which day I have no idea. (I bought him). I just put the flowers in it because I had just changed the setup and in the last one he hungout in the flowers all day and seemd to like the color so I just left them in there. Except the flowers in the last tank were pink and as you can see he hung out in them in the old setup ( the first pic). I will try to get a vertical tank too but i have to save up some more money. I'm olny 12 so it should tank me awhile. But he's only about 4 months old so he should be fine untill then. Thanks for the replies. See ya.

15. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

The tank you have may well make an acceptable vertical setup... jut add a door...

16. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

I was thinking to make the tank you have a vertical would to be putting it on it's end. You would have to design and build a secure door for the front but it would work great. Just get your parents to help you out, don't want to make something and find out your cresite can get out the hard way.

17. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

18. kima

kima New Member

Thanks guys. I'll try to see if my dad has the time to convert it.

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

20. lashes

lashes Embryo

I think your set up looks great! dont rush to spend more money just yet. here is an idea for you.check out my pick in the image gallery under "wine rack" if your dad will check with wine stores you can get the displays they are getting rid of for nothing and convert them. I got a champaign case that was self contained and about 16d x 18 W x 48h. a little work and walla liz condo.

21. kima

kima New Member

My dad says he can do this to my tank but I was wondering if I could just shine the light through the glass or should I try to cut the glass? Thanks

-Ashton

22. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

You would have to space the light up off the glass (to let air circulate), so the glass doesn't get hot, and burn your gecko...

Also UVB wont penetrate the glass... but the necessity of UVB lighting for nocturnals is debated... I only have a small RED light for occasional night viewing, and nothing for UVB...

23. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

We have UVB in one of the three tanks in use right now. The ones in it don't suffer. Infact they hide all day anyways so they don't get any UVB radiation. Just elevate the light off the glass like Bryan said.

24. kima

kima New Member

Thanks guys I'll try to get it done as soon as possible. Bye

25. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

I agree.....you def. need more height in ur viv.....it looks very nice tho.

Bryan.....i used to do the same thing you are......but that's not really the answer either......do you realize that ur poor gecko only has about 8-10 inches of ground space to walk about? That's not very practical now is it? Umless you bowl feed, they have no room to hunt for their meal, or just wander around. They just seemed too contained to the upper part of the viv & I didn't like that. In the end, I ended up changing my whole setup to a 20 gal. (tall), it's the perfect size for an adult crestie, or Gargoyle for that matter.