New to anoles (brown anoles)

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by deydey, Feb 14, 2009.

1. deydey

deydey Member

I really like the look of these guys. I already have 10 lizards. I want a larger collection:) Was wondering if some people could give me a little care sheet or two to help me on my way. Main things I need to know is enclosure size temps and humidity. I already know about UVB etc etc. Pics would also be great:)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. deydey

deydey Member

I was thinking of getting an exo-terra 45x45x60cm (18x18x24") for a male and a female. I heard they don't like being kept alone.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

If you keep multiples you either want several females, or a male with 2-3+ females. You shouldnt keep one male and one female together as the male will stress the female with constant breeding advances.

Anoles are fun little lizards! I have four myself and i love them...they are fun to watch leap around the tank and hunt avidly.

Anoles are also pretty hardy critters and pretty easy to care for. The key points is to have a heavily planted tank (live plants are best, but you can do fake as well) with lots of visual barriers for them to hide in and feel secure, high humidity and a nice basking spot of 85-95 degrees, with ambient temps in the 80s.

Humidity canbe maintained by having a large water dish, live plants, and heavily misting the tank several times a day.

Heat can be provided by an overhead heat lamp, temps measured with a digital thermometer.

Diet should consist of mainly crickets, any live insects are fine but they wont usually eat worms or anything that doesnt move a lot - so crickets are best. Here is a picture of my planted anole viv:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. deydey

deydey Member

wow looks great. What size would I need for sale a male and 2 females? Could I house one specimin alone or is that not recommended?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

for a male and two females i would have a 20-30gallon tank...something approx 24-36inches long and 12inches wide. Give or take.

You could house one alone and it would be fine - however, it is definately fun to watch them interact!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. deydey

deydey Member

Is height of a lot of importance to these guys like it is crested geckos?

12. MimC

MimC Moderator

Yes, they do love to climnb and jump around - so i would go with a high tank over a low tank.

13. deydey

deydey Member

Ok I may just go for one then just for now any way. I'm not to sure on what tank to get. Was thinking of one of the exo-terra glass sided mesh topped ones. Not sure what size.

14. MimC

MimC Moderator

Im not familiar with those specific tanks, but my advise would be to go bigger than you think you would need. Because they are small a lot of people try to put them into small tanks but they are very active and you really appreciate them more when they have more room to be active in :blink:

15. deydey

deydey Member

ok great. Are the females as colourful as the males (dewlaps) Also, can females be disinguished from males at a young age? I want to get 2 females as I think 3 of these guys would be too much. What would be the min enclosure size in inches for two females?

16. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Hey deydey, how do you have ten without knowing all the care needs? Sorry, I just have to know :p

17. deydey

deydey Member

10 reptiles.

3 leos
    1 chameleon
    1 crested gecko
    5 dune gecko

NO anoles. Thats how I know.

18. MimC

MimC Moderator

The females do have dewlaps also - they tend to not be as large or as colorful as the males, but can sometimes be decieving. One of my females has a pretty impressive dewlap. The females tend to be smaller in stature with smaller heads than the males - but this is only in the adults. Im not sure about sexing at a young age, im sorry...most of the anoles you are going to run into are wildcaught adults so i have no experience with juvi anoles.

For 2 females i think a 20 gallon enclosure would be fine, i dont know the exact dimensions of this but something approximately 24-30inches long would be great.

19. deydey

deydey Member

ok mate. thank you for your help.

20. MimC

MimC Moderator

No problem! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :D

21. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

How is everything going? Got any pics of your little one/ones.
    Sorry i haven't been about to spot this thread, i used to do alot of work with these little creatures.
    So any further questions you wanted to ask, i'm right here!

22. deydey

deydey Member

I will be aquiring one of these guys next week as one of my friends is selling his. He was informed wrong and was housing a green with a brown and the green died. He has since given up on reptiles and gone back to fish as he feels it isn't right for him to care for them if they aren't happy etc. I was just wondering what would be the best subtrate for these guys?

23. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Organic potting soil or coco-fiber. Any other questions please feel free to ask.