New to site, PICS of enclosures

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by TimothyTodd, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

go in the leo section and look at "I messaged T-Rex about Calci-Sand" they know it kills they just want money. and yea separate the bd's and get them each a 4x2x2 cage.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

Bearded dragons will actually very rarely come into contact with loose sand. They live in the south east area of Australia which is arid grassland, not sand. Like Tux said any kind of sand there will be mixed and packed down with soil :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TimothyTodd

TimothyTodd Member

I'm not going to separate them, they are fine, and their tank is fine, I appreciate suggestions, but I really don't appreciate demands. Thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TempestGarden

TempestGarden New Member

Actually, the best thing to keep a Savannah on would be either dirt, peat moss or bed-a-beast... Something of that nature. All of the newest research on Savannah monitor's suggests that most people are keeping these reptiles incorrectly. They need A LOT of substrate for digging in and the most important thing that is overlooked by far too many people... humidity!! They need a good amount of humidity, because if they are kept too dry they will go into a very sluggish state and are prone to obesity. So, if you really want to do your monitor a favor, I would say get him lots of the substrate I suggested above and make sure it holds a good amount of humidity.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kirby

kirby Embryo

just because..

the calci-sand says 100% edible.. NOT DIGESTIBLE.. ALL dragons lick as a means of seeing what somethign is, and exploring/learning.. the safest most natural substrate is slate of ceramic tile, textured and glased.. it is more natural than sand. ive been to central aus twice. and Australian soil guides by the gvoernment back me up when i say slate is more natural than any particle substrate on the market..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kirby

kirby Embryo

:D :eek: :eek: sorry i broke out in laughter.. south east australia?

you mean central australia. there ar eMANY different species of bearded dragon, eastern bearded dragons live in south east australia, NO one has these out side of australia. only centrals.. they live in central australia.. not south east. westerns, of course live in the west, and other species are kinda scattered in queensland (north east) etc.

the places they do live, the soil is hard clay sand soil mix. NOT sand, so you are correct on that..

you are riskign your dragons life with any particle substrate.. crushed wlanut is known to impacted AND cut up your dragons intestines.. here is an autopsy of a dragon who became impacted and DIED from crucshed walnut.. (WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES) http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

dragons DO get impacted with sand and walnut, and you are doing a pretty bad job looking after your dragon is after this, knowign how dangerous it is.. you still do not change the substrate.

bearded dragons are also solitary, and hosueing them together especially male and female, is slowely killign your female with stress, and over breeding.. they have probably formed a heirachy of stress which effects them both ALOT. you will need to seperate them, keep them safe and change the substrate. in order to keep them healthy and happy..

i hope you make the right decisions to benefit your dragons...

12. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

I am new to this forum, and I am a little dismayed that so many members are dogging Timothy Todd. All he did was show you pics of his enclosures and ask for advice! Some of you need to calm down- just because it is the way you raise your reptiles, that does not necessarily mean it it the only correct way to do things... Being ugly to people is only going to make them not come back, not make them convert to your way of thinking!!

13. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

we say this because we care for the pets like they are more than just animals. they cannot do things on their own. they rely on us to give them proper care.this is the wrong place to tell a bunch of people to calm down when we are in fact right. it is not fair to them that anyone treat them wrong. yaeh we cannot control anything anybody does, and if they dont return then they probably are embarassed that they did not do their homework on their reptile.that is half the job of keeping any pet is to know how to care for a pet and the responsibillities. this site is made for people toteach other people and then take care of the problems. when he responded that he is keeping the animal on sand when he knows its wrong, we have a problem with that. thats just not right. and your right, what we say it is not the only correct way, but what we know is that sand is not the right way at all, not even near the correct way, you cannot get wright out of wrong

14. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

This thread has gone to far for way too long.
    Sand with dragons has been a fight among breeders and enthusiasts for years.
    Australia is not a Sahara dessert with loose sand allover making sand dunes.
    Dragons live on a natural clay sand mixture that turns into more of a concrete, and they live in grasslands.
    Calci-Sand is known to be the worst substrate for dragons because it does not break down and digest in a Dragons Digestive tract.
    Calci-Sand is also the most popular substrate because of pet store's and their ignorance.
    Why do you guys think they sell it over tile or another substrate? You don't need to buy more tile once you purchase it.
    They are looking for you to come back and purchase it once it gets dirty. Its all about $$$

This whole thread is off subject and fighting over something in this case has been fixed.

Robert

15. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar... Many reptile folks use sand very successfully... All I meant was that your opinion is great, but beware of being preachy and condescending... Unless you are just trying to get your point across and not really trying to help people...

I also treat my critters like my kids...ask my hubby! :)

16. shinchanyo

shinchanyo New Member

he fixed it and its funny because they wer still fighting over it.lol!i also keep my new beardy on reptile carpet.

17. reptiles9087

reptiles9087 New Member

NEVA had any problems with sand... I think its fine ;)