New to the boards, and the reptile owners community

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by silverbullet07, Nov 15, 2010.

1. silverbullet07

silverbullet07 Embryo

hi guys, my name is Brian and im brand new to the reptile community. this is my first reptile. yesterday i bought a green anole, and i love him! (i think its a male at least.) right now i have him set up in a 20 gallon terrarium, and i have a few questions/concerns. he's always brown, is this normal? i rarely see him when hes green, and hes always sitting under the basking light (its 90-95 degrees in the light, as you can see by the third picture), i rarely see him anywhere else. also, i have yet to see him eat, he doesnt seem very aggressive when it comes to eating, and i havent seem him eat anything yet, but i guess he is eating because i put half a dozen small crickets in there and i only see one left (so unless the crickets are hiding, he had to have eaten them.) should i try feeding him by hand? should i try something other than crickets? any help would be greatly appreciated.

anyway, here he is, his name is Reptar, like the big lizard from the old show "rugrats" haha

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. silverbullet07

silverbullet07 Embryo

heres the second picture......

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. swizZer

swizZer New Member

Where??? LOL!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. silverbullet07

silverbullet07 Embryo

sorry, it didnt work for some reason. anyway, any ideas?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GreenBean

GreenBean New Member

Hi,

I am new as well, don't have an anole...YET. :p Still researching and gathering supplies. I am a previous herp owner though, turtles and snakes. So I do know what it is like to bring a new animal home. First I wouldn't worry about feeding Reptar (lol I used to watch that as well...ahhh memories.) just yet. I am not familiar with the amount of time people use before feeding new additions (in relation to lizards. Snakes can go a while between average feedings). I'd give him at least 2 days to let him settle and explore. Keep misting and checking temps, but as much as you want....and I know you want to....we all do....touch/play/handle your new companion, don't. Just let him chill. So yeah, other than that, lol, that's about all the advice I can give.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. silverbullet07

silverbullet07 Embryo

well i bought another anole, a female as a tank companion for reptar, her name is roxanne! she was REALLY skinny when i got her so i fed her a couple wax worms and she gobbled em up. she looks a little better, but im still not seeing either of them eat. ive seen reptar eat ONE cricket, and roxy has eaten one (that ive seen). im still a bit worried about their feeding...oh, and their always brown still....