New turtle questions

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by eightball123, Sep 6, 2013.

1. eightball123

eightball123 Embryo

hey im new to this i just bought 2 turtles sam and james males about 5 and 7 in age. i have a 3ft x1.5 high and 1.8'' wide zilla tank not sure what the gallon size is. Is this tank sufficent enough to keep the turtles for now and what type of filter is recommened?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. eightball123

eightball123 Embryo

its acually a 40 gallon breeder tank just checked it out

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hi, eightball! I moved this to its own thread so as not too overcrowd the other one.

As for tank size, that really depends on the species you are keeping. Do you know what your turtles are? A 40 gallon would really only be sufficient for the absolute smallest of species--ones that max out at around 3 inches in carapace length. If you have a more common species, such as a slider or map of some kind, a 40 gallon is likely not large enough, especially not for two of them.

For filtration, you always want to go with the most powerful filter you can afford. Canister filters, such as the fluval or eheim, are by far the best choice, but also the most expensive. If you go with an internal or power filter, aim for one that is rated for 3x or more the amount of water it is actually filtering. Turtles are very messy creatures, and with two adults you will need all the filtration you can get.

If you have any other questions about diet, lighting, etc. (UVB lighting and temperatures are particularly important to get right.), please don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the forums and let us know if we can help with anything.