new uro/I am an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by qk_psi08, Jun 4, 2006.

1. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

wussup..i just got my uro about 3 days ago...its eating really well...i aint gonna lie.. when i want to handle it it would move away from me and that makes me nurous that i might have to grab him...when i bought him i asked the pet store dude to let me hold one...when he picked it up he just grabbed it..it didnt panic at all. it clinbed up my shirt and everthing and looked like it was having fun...but now it seems when i try to handle him its scared. i can barely touch its tail without it moving away from me..another thing....itis very active.. i would come in my room and it would be moving against the glasss or just walking around its cage...but then i would walk out to use the restroom or something and when i come back its going to sleep...and thats like three times a day...i dont have a pic yet but its brown looking and is abot 5 to six inches..dont know what species but the dude said it will get about 12 to 13 inches...anyways can someone give me some pointers and tips please...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

RE: new uro/YOU BETTER READ THIS AND REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

best thing u can do for the time being is to leave it alone, its only been there 3 days and will be scared and feel unsecure in its new environment, give it a couple of weeks without trying to handle it and let it settling in and im sure you will notice a big improvement :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I agree completely. It took mine about a month before he'd even stay out of his hide when I walked in the room. The other thing to keep in mind is these guys aren't always happy to be handled. I've had mine for about a year and he's still kinda skittish about being handled.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Moe is 4 yrs old, he has good days and bad days. Sometimes he is quite happy to run around the room and even take a nap on my lap...other days is is much happier to take my hand off with his tail and puff up when I come near. The point is, these guys are not like leos or BDs, they play by thier own rules, and you have to take your q from them. It can take a lot of time and effort to get you little guy to warm up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

thanx and while we are still talking.. i just held it tday and it closed its eyes while it was in my hand and started to go to sleep...anywayz its eating out my hand to and acts like its not scared of me at all but when i hold him he either takes a nap or try to climb up my arm...and do you mean it wips you with its tail moe? cuz the guy said they dont do that.......and finaly...I NEED A NAME FOR MY URO

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

mine is about 5 inches and it is in a 10 gallon tank is that bad...what size tank max should i get by the way

12. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

That's pretty small in order to offer the temp gradients they need. I know my guy Buddha is in a 40 gallon and he's only a few inches larger. Bigger is usually better with these guys. If you're talking gallons, I'd say a 75 gallon at the minimum for an adult. Obviously, you don't need anything quite that big yet but I would still go bigger than 10 gallons.

13. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

10g is out of the question. You need a 40g min, but even this is just the min. Like reptiles4me said, a 75g is really ideal. These guys need a lot of space, and the temp gradient you need is just not attainable with a 10g. What are your temps?

14. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

around 120 to 100 a t night...and i got a rock for it to bask in...by the way sometimes it looks like his eyes roll to the back of his head sometimes...it'll close his eyes and when he opens them its red and turns to normal like he rolled them to the back...that cant be normal can it???????

15. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

yes, but in a 10g, you can not possiably be achieving the proper temp gradient. You need a warm side and a cool side. In a 10g, if you are getting temps of 120 in the basking spot, then the cool side is not going to be low enough. There is just not enough space for the two seperate temp zones to exist. The tank is just too small. You really need to upgrade for the health of an uro. As for the eye thing, I have never seen Moe do this, but I am sure that one of the other posters here may know something about this.

16. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

Buddha's never done that either. Not sure. Those temps are a little high for night. I was under the impression that they needed the temp. drop. I agree you need to get a larger enclosure. You will have much more control of your temps.

17. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

will a 20 do for now?or what do you suggest for its size

18. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

For now a 20 is better than a 10 but I would work on getting at least a 40 breeder as soon as you can. As an adult, he'll need at least a 75. So whether you get the 40 now and upgrade later to a 75 or just get the 75 is up to you. I suggest checking classifieds and yard sales and craigslist for used tanks. Sometimes you can get a really good deal that way.

19. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with a 20. He is just going to outgrow it too quickly, and you'll have to upgrade again. If you don't want to go too big right now, get a 40g. This will do for a while, but a full grown uro would be best in a 75 as reptiles4me said. Used tanks can be way cheaper. Your temps do seem a little high at night. You probably want to drop them down at least into the 80s. What are the temps on your cool side right now? How are you measuring the temp? Keep in mind that if your uro is not recieving the proper temp gradient, this will stress him out. A stressed uro is not one who will take kindly to handeling.

20. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

when you say for now...... do you mean some years...or whati herd it takes 5 years to get fully grown

21. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I mean a week or two or until you get paid to get the 40 lol. Sorry but a 20 gallon just isn't big enough. For some reason I thought I had read that you already had the 20 and wasn't sure if it was big enough. Buddha was in a 20 long for about 3 weeks until he got moved to the 40. That was back in November and I'm already beginning to wonder about upgrading. It does take a while for them to get full grown but they're pretty active. Buddha uses every square inch of his 40.

22. burmboy_6

burmboy_6 New Member

I had fully grown uros and I kept two of the in a 90 gallon and the other two in a 75. The problem with bigger tank is keeping it hot enough for them but it has to be done because they need the room. My youngest wich was a female did grow slow but she doubled her size in a year

23. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

A bigger tank is easier to create a thermal gradient in, not harder. In a small thank, especially with a species like uros who need very high temps, the temps from the 130 degree basking area will keep the whole cage to hot. What you want is one area that is 130, and a decreasing gradient toward the other side. This way the uro can self regulate the temps. If the whole cage is too hot, or if there is not a large enough central zone where the temps are moderate, the uro cannot properly self regulate and this can lead to problems. We are trying to simulate natural environment as best as we can. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to do so.

24. burmboy_6

burmboy_6 New Member

What I meant was getting enough light or heat to that basking spot(130 degrees) and keeping the overall temp at 80 or 90 is kinda difficult atlleast it was fo me because I had a 90 gallon that was tall.

25. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I see ;) Yeah, if the tank is too tall, then it would be difficult to get the lights low enough to achieve the right basking temps.