New Uro...questions and pics

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by loveleos_07, Feb 28, 2010.

1. loveleos_07

loveleos_07 New Member

Hello all,

I have not owned reptiles in a couple of years and I just got aMali Uro. He/She is about a year old and still very small (concerning to me...how long does it take them to be fully grown) Seems healthy, squirms when you first pic her up and is bright eyed. However this evening when we got her home she just wanted to go in her hide and sleep...is this normal? I plan to feed her yellow squash, lettuce, and carrots with a super or cricket once or twice a week...is this okay? I have a reptisun 10.0 and a 100W basking light. I also have a heat strip in the cage for night time as it gets about 60 at night in my house. She is stained red from the sand she was on however I now have her on repti-carpet with a tub of sand to dig in...check out pics and give me any advice please!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Crawlermastyx

Crawlermastyx Embryo

He/she is a looker!....set up looks good!,...maybe a couple more hiding places,...im sure s/he would like that

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cartinfan

cartinfan Embryo

She is a good looking Uro. I set mine up using bird seed as a base, a flat, black basking stone(piece of floor tile) a nice hide and a small climbing branch. Twinkie seems to like it, just need to keep the tile low or he'd dig under it. Just keep her basking spoy nice and hot in the day, 120f or so and enjoy!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cartinfan

cartinfan Embryo

Also, Malis tend to be small compared to say an Egyptian which gets huge! And hiding is perfectly normal, they are shy, especially if from the wild.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

I dont see any pictures for some reason :p

Uros are very shy critters so its not at all unusual to have them hiding, especially when you first bring them home. Once they adjust they should be extremely active - climbing, basking, digging, eating etc. However you may find that they always run in hide when you are around.

My only suggestion would be the diet - lettuce should not really be used. You want to have a staple of turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, escarole and fresh spring mix. I also offer millet seeds and ground up 10-bean soup mix.