new veiled chameleon owner

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by coreytague, Jan 1, 2009.

1. coreytague

coreytague Embryo

I'm a new veiled chameleon owner and have purchased all I think I need for her. I'm having trouble with the watering system though. I had the drip system but all it did was make a mess in the cage. I've tried the ice cube drip system but I'm not sure she's getting enough water during the day. Can you tell me just how much they need or suggest a more efficient watering system? ALSO....everything I've read says she needs a UVB light to process calcium. She has a UVA and a heated night light. Can you suggest the best lighting system? I was going to buy the hooded clip on light/bulb.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. coolmoon

coolmoon Embryo

A uvb is very important. You need a tube style not the coil type. The reptisun 5.0 is a good choice, she needs to be within 12" of it. If she isn't getting uvb she will get metabolic bone disease and it will likely kill her. The reptison also supplies the uva so you won't need that one. Do you have a basking area for her? As for the watering I use the zoo med little dripper. Its a pain to get set right and has to be adjusted as it gets lower but it drips into the plant which keeeps it from making a mess and waters the plant. You should also be misting the cage at least twice a day for several mins to keep humidity up and encourage her to drink.