New viv set up

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Leopardgran, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

I'm new to gecko keeping so I hope I'm doing everything right (with your help ;-))

I have had my Leo in a rub since I had him about a month ago. Since which time I have been given a wooden vivarium :). I have set it up today and so far all I've added is a Habistat Proportional Pulse Thermostat - laid the sensor on top of the subtrate inside the warm hide (which the UTH is under). I have a digital thermometer of which I have laid the sensor on the cool side floor. I also have a Red Night Bulb inside the viv but will only use it for a little while at night as I don't want it to get too warm for him ;-) I have the UTH set at 30c.

I hope this is ok - I won't transfer the Leo for a day or so to see how it goes. Please let me know if I've missed out anything.

Many thanks - I await your comments and advice

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Welcome to Reptile Boards! The set-up sounds good so far! I would suggest waiting a day or 2 to see how the new tank and set-up is - see if the temps are stable, etc. before moving your little guy in to it.

Something that would help us evaluate your set-up would be answering these questions...
    1. What substrate are you using?
    2. What sized enclosure do you have your leo in?
    3. How many hides do you have for your leo? What are they?
    4. What food have you offered?
    5. How often do you offer food?
    6. Are you supplementing the food? If so, with what and how often?
    7. How old is your leo?
    8. How long have you had your leo?
    9. Give a little detail about the behaviour of the Leo also

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

1 - Its Cork Sheeting cut to size - the type people use to mount model railway tracks to or make notice boards out of?
    2 - 22" x 15" wooden viv
    3 - One Exo Terra Rock Cave (Warm) - Artificial Hollow Half Log (cool Side) - Margarine Tub with damp spagnum moss halfway between the warm & cool as a moist hide
    4 Crickets / Mealworms / Mealworm beetles (newly morphed)/ One Waxworm (so far) - all gutloaded with Bug Grub / veggies etc
    5 - every day - I try to alternate btwn the types of insect but leave a glass lid with meallies in all the time.
    6 - Pure Calcium in lid constantly in viv but also dusted onto the live food every time then twice a week he gets Nutrabol dusted on the food.
    7 - Not sure. The boy I got him from said he was only very young whatever that means. He measures approx 4 inches or so
    8 - Approx 3 weeks
    9 - He is quite calm. He lets me pick him up very gently. He eats from tweezers quite readily. He is very alert & watches my hand when I put it into the viv. He looks me in the eye too which is very sweet. He did hiss & lunge at me but that was my fault for trying to pet him only the day after I got him.

Its all a big learning experience

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Everything sounds great! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

Heres a pic of the new set-up so far
    The little bits of kitchen paper are for as yet unknown loo stops lol

Attached Files:

StikyPaws312 and Cammy like this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I like the paper towel idea. Leos seem particularly fond of choosing a specific corner to poo in, so you could probably "potty train" them in a similar way that you would a hamster. Good thinking.