New Water Dragon and Vivarium

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by MRanderson, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MRanderson

MRanderson Embryo

Well I got my first water dragon yesterday after getting all of the supplies Saturday. I have placed a glass divider in the middle of the terrarium and glued it in there with non toxic silicon gel to be water proof. After my trip down to LLL Reptile Supply I began to construct my new vivarium. I would like your criticism on my terrarium set up, likes and dislikes. I just want to have the best enclosure for my zerd as possible :D I have a 10.0 UV fluorescent bulb, with a 100 watt night bulb for heat, add in some cypress bedding, a exo terra 150 turtle filter, and a bio vine and you've got my set up.
    This is it
    [​IMG]
    Another shot
    [​IMG]
    And this is my little Chinese Water Dragon
    [​IMG]

That is water to the right of the vivarium, I keep it white for easy debris spotting and removal. Humidity is around 70 to 80 percent constantly, and theres a 90 degree basking and a 75 degree cool side. I just got him last night and he's adapted well to his surroundings, he's eating nicely and is somewhat comfortable in your hands. Again any criticism would help, not hurt. I've had beardies since I was 8 and wanted something more tropical, plus I've always liked Water Dragons. Please help me with a name... Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

He is super cute :D

The set up looks pretty good - i would only have a couple quick suggetsions...

1. I would change the night bulb to a regular basking bulb - this gives them a basking spot with light and heat.

2. I would maybe add a couple thicker, more sturdy branches for him to rest on.

3. Im sure you know this - but that tank looks kind of small (what size is it) and unless its a LOT bigger than it looks in the picture you will definately need a bigger tank in the future

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MRanderson

MRanderson Embryo

Thanks, he's actually only 8-10" long total. And that is a 20 gallon long tank. I only plan to keep him in there for a few months until I can set him up with a 100 Gallon reptarium so he doesn't get snout damage. This weekend I'm going to a local park and getting some branches for him. I quarantine them by stripping off the bark and then baking them at 350' for 30 min wrapped in foil I was using the night bulb for night time, not day time. The only reason why the other light was on was for a few quick pics. For day time I do use a 75 watt basking bulb, I origionally had a 100 watt basking, but it seemed way too hot (around 98') with 75 it's about 90'. The tank is a little too small for two lamps and a fluorescent fixture, so I have to switch out the heat bulb for day/night. Thanks for the help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slakey

slakey New Member

I actually really like that vivarium. Looks very realistic with the little pond :) You have slightly gave me ideas :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MRanderson

MRanderson Embryo

Thanks, I'm building his new one now and it's going to be pretty cool.