Newbie has LOTS of questions...Please Help!

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by HMBDDD, Oct 2, 2004.

1. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

First off I would like any suggestions as to what type of lizzard I should get. I have looked at leopard geckos but I would prefer something that does not require that much heat. (As much as I want my future herp to be comfortable, I need to live in the same room)

I have looked at Reptarium cages, but I am not sure how well they would hold humidity and/or heat depending on what type of animal I get.

I would also like to know if anyone knows a good vet in the Brandon/Tampa area. I figure I ought to have one lined up before I get my herp.

Also if anyone knows a good breeder for beginner type lizzards in the Brandon/Tampa area I would appreciate it.

That's all for now. Thank you to anyone who can answer any/all of the above for me!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

If heat is the only issue detracting you from leopard geckos, I wouldn't consider it an issue. By using a under tank heater and a small heat lamp, you cld totally optimize the tank temperature without making your room any hotter than usual.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

Even if I used a mesh cage like a Reptarium? I was concerned that if I used that type of cage that the heat would constantly be escaping into the room. Thanks for the help!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Oooh, You're right, you won't be able to use a reptarium for a leo - the heat will escape and you won't be able to maintain a temp gradient. You'll need a sealed enclosure like a terrarium. For a single leo, you need Minimum 10 gallon tank. Sorry I wasn't clear.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

No prob! Thanks for the info!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Well I don't live in FL so I don't know what vets there are good, but I can tell you about a lot of kinds of lizards. To narrow things down, why don't you start by answering a few basic questions about what you're looking for?

How big a lizard do you want?

How much space do you have for the enclosure?

Do you want a lizard that likes to be held?

Do you mind feeding your lizard other animals or do you prefer a mainly vegetarian lizard?

Some lizards are mostly active at night, while others are active in the daytime. Which do you prefer?

Do you care more about interesting looks and colors, or good personality and companionship?

How restrictive is your budget?

How much time do you have to devote to caring for / playing with your lizard per day?

Answer those questions for me and I'll see if I can figure out some good lizard options for you. :)

12. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

I am looking for something under 12"

I am planning on purchasing a 40 gallon aquarium, looking at them they seem to run about 36" by 18"

I would prefer something that doesn't mind being help, I am not looking for a pet "just for show"

I would prefer something that I can feed live food to

I am typically home around 10pm and I am up until around 2am so there would be light in the room for the majority of the day, I would guess a day active lizzard would be best. But otherwise I really don't have a preference.

Good personality and conpanionship is more important to me than looks and colors. Although those are nice too.

I plan on spending no more than $100 for my lizzard and I plan on spending $200 - $300 on it's habitat although the later figure is debatable. If I find I need to spend more than I will. Over all, I hope not to spend much more than $400 total.

I typically spend 3 or 4 hours just chilling when I get home from work late in the evening. That would be the time I would have to spend with my new pet.

Thank you so much for your help.

13. Spot

I don't know about other herps, but you probably want a nocturnal lizard since you want to interact with it at night. Diurnals wld be asleep when u get home. My leopard gecko is most active around 10pm to 1am (I don't know much after that since I'm usually asleep). He crawls around my arm, shirt, hangs around on my shoulder while I'm at the computer, etc. This is the time i feed him his crickets too. I don't know about having great personalities - my leo doesn't do tricks or have quirks, but I can tell when i approach the tank and he wants to get out and hang. He definitely recognizes me. He's very relaxing to have around.

As far as size, budget etc., leos definitely fit within your guidelines. Leopard geckos are considered excellent for first time reptile owners. But with your guidelines, there are plenty of choices and others will chime in with suggestions.

14. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Leos are an option yes, as well as crested geckos, but also know that allthough these two geckos tend to get fairly "tame" compared to other geckos, geckos in general do NOT like to be handled. Most of them would much prefer to just be fed and left alone. Most captive-raised bearded dragons, on the other hand, seem to enjoy being handled and given attention. Most bearded dragons, including the common interior bearded dragon (pogona vitticeps) that most herpers keep, get about twice your desired size of 12" though. However, there is a beardy that only gets to be about 12" long and still has that sweet beardy personality everyone loves, and that is the Lawson's Dragon (pogona henrylawsoni), aka Rankin's Dragon (p. rankini, p. brevis). These little guys look pretty close to the p. vitticeps most people have, but they stay small. The tank size you are talking about would be about ideal for one of these guys, and you can get them for less than $100. Another good and interesting lizard for that size enclosure would be the orange spotted agama (laudakia stellio picea) which are black with orange spots, small adult size, and very hand tameable. I have also found them in the $100 range, but you might have to hunt around a while before finding someone to sell these guys to you. Nevertheless, a worthwhile find and makes for an attractive, playful, somewhat rare terrarium occupant. Smaller Uromastyx species are another nice option, as they can be both colorful and very tame. Additionally, many skinks are suitable for your size, most commonly the blue-tounge skink. IMO these are not that attractive or interesting as many other lizards, with most specimins having a uniformly dull brown appearance. But hey if you like them, you shouldn't have a problem getting one. Some of the lacertids are also suitable and quite striking with bright green and blue colorations, but they are somewhat hard to come by. Most anoles are the right size, but I would advise against them since you want to handle your pet and most anoles do not adapt well to handling. Also when shopping around, many people fall in love with the adorable baby monitors, tegus, or iguanas. Do not be misled. All of these guys get BIG. Big enough that they'll either have to be given the free run of your house when they grow up, or their adult cage is going to take up most of a room in your house. However if you are fine with that eventuality, then the terrarium size you want will work great for a first cage for any of those babies. They will just outgrow it within a few months. I personally love large lizards and I keep monitors, and next year I'm planning to add Argentine black & white tegus to my herp family. There is one monitor you might find available which is becoming more popular and stays about 12". That is Storr's Monitor (Varanus storri). If i was personally going to purchase a lizard that stayed under 12", I'd opt for a Storr's monitor, the orange/black agamas, or else the little Lawson's beardies. :D

Here's a pic of a Storr's monitor:
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of a Lawson's dragon:
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the orange spotted agamas I mentioned:
    [​IMG]

Beautiful, arent they? :)

15. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

Thank you to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I have decided on getting a Leopard Gecko. I have been lookinga tunder tank heaters. Me concern is whether these would heat up the top of what the tank is sitting on. I plan on having the tank on top of my entertainment center and I am worried about the UTH heating up the wood. Do I need to prop the tank up off the wood surface to use a UTH or are they disigned with this setup in mind? Again thank you for all the help. I had posted on a nother board with my question and got several comments damning newbies. Everyone is so friendly helpful and friendly here. I think I have found a new home. :)

16. Spot

The UTH shld come with some little rubber legs u stick onto the corners of the tank to elevated it a bit. This allows air to circulate around the UTH to prevent overheating. I actually raised mine a wee bit more using pieces of cork sheet so that there's about 1/2 inch space, but I'm probably being a little neurotic.

Good luck with your leo!

17. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

Thanks! I have a friend who is offering to sell me a 40 gallon breeder tank for very cheap. (36" x 18" x 17") I only plan on getting one leo at first 'till I get the hang of caring for it. Is this too big? I am under the impression that bigger is better but please let me know if that is incorrect. I would like to add more to my collection later on and I would rather just get the tank now rather than upgrading later on.

18. Spot

I think your leo will love the space - just make sure he/she knows where the water/food dish is when you set it up.

FYI, if you're planning to add more leos to the enclosure (you cld add several with that size ), be aware that they all should be similar in size and any new animal shld be quarantined in a separate enclosure for 2 months to ensure health. You probably already know that only one male is allowed in one enclosure so keep that in mind if you have the option of selecting sex with your first one.

19. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

Thank you very much. I had heard that they need to be similar size and quarentined. Also I plan on getting a female so that I can house more together. Better to keep my options open I figure.

20. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

I have been reading about water conditioners. They all claim that the treatment of water for human consumption can leave stuff that is toxic to reptiles. Some also claim that other conditioners put in stuff that can be harmful to certain reptiles yet don't seem to tell which reptiles that would be. Do I need a water conditioner? Which ones would be good for a Leo?

21. Spot

I'm not exactly sure what u mean be water conditioners - do u mean some chemicals you drop into tap water like for aquarium use or stuff you attach to your plumbing for your house. Personally I don't think you have to be that cautious. Leos are desert animals and don't drink that much wqater. Just leave your tap water over night in a non-porous container (glass cup - not aluminum, metal or plastic) to let the chlorine evaporate and use that. Otherwise you can always use bottled drinking water.

22. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

You could do that, but then you still wouldn't be removing chloramines or several other contaminants. I use this stuff made by Zoo-Med called Repti-Safe. It removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals, plus it lowers PH (for aquatic species) and adds essential electrolytes including calcium to promote better hydration and health. I've used it for a while now, and haven't seen or heard anything bad about it, plus my herps always drink good and seem healthy so I like it. Just a personal prefference, use whatever you like.

23. HMBDDD

HMBDDD Embryo

That's exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about. So is it a requirement that I use something of the sort? Or is it just a gimmick for the companies to sell more stuff?

24. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Well I would reccomend doing something to remove the harmful impurities from the water. Its more important for babies than adults. It doesn't have to be a chemical though, thats just what I use. You could also just use filtered/purified water either from a store or from a filter on your faucet, etc. I actually use a faucet filter, and then add about half the reccomended dose of the repti-safe (mostly for the electrolytes).

25. Spot

Like kamikaze says, it's a personal choice. The worst impurity that's in your tap water is chlorine and like I said earlier, it'll evaporate out if you let water sit out for 24 hrs. You definitely want to do that, but beyond that, it's up to you. There are parts of the country which have better quality tap water than othres, so that may be a consideration. I live in California and the tap water here is absolutely the worst I've ever experienced (I've also lived in IL, CT, NY, NJ - NY and CT water was great), so I've got a filter system for the whole house and a drinking water filter which is pure enough for people on dialysis, so that's the water my leo gets.