Newbie owner

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by cynicaleuphoria, Aug 13, 2004.

1. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

Learning as much as I can, but I'm the new carekeeper (probably temporary) of an adult uromastyx while the owner is away at college (their dorms don't allow lizards). Any tidbits of random information would be nice. He's almost three years old, in a scaringly tiny 10 or 15 gallon tank (which WILL be made much bigger once I'm able to purchase one), on Calci-sand (which will also be changed to playsand), and a bridge-like structure and a rock. I'm going to be updating a lot of things since.. it needs it, but as I've never raised a uromastyx or anything, I'd like to hear what other people have and all. Also, should I just leave him be on a strict vegetarian diet or introduce him to live food which he has never even touched?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

that enclosure is awful for one it should be atleast 2 feet high and 4 feet - 6 feet long 4 being minimum and 6 being ok but still should be bigger. live food should only be offered as a treat once a week or every other week. claci sand is a no no . birdseed or washed playsand should be used as substarte. hope it helped -jon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

Yeah, it's horribly tiny. >.< The first thing I wanted to do when I knew I'd be its new carekeeper is get a new vivarium, which I haven't been able to do yet. And thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

I think you should make the real owner buy it. Or give it to a real knowledgable responsible owner. Or consider he needs to give it a way.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

I've been thinking about giving him away actually. Being only a teenager living under her parents' roof, that's their final decision, not mine, especially since this isn't my lizard. However, if you know anyone who'd be willing to take care of a uromastyx.. let me know? I want to make sure it finds a good home if I wind up giving him away.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

Well do not give to petstores, especially petco or petsmart. Unless there is a very very healthy herp related shop then let them have it. But ask what size tank they would put it in aswell as everything else. Try to find a local herp lover where u live. Because in florida theres sure to be quite alot of herpers. I heard a hurricanes coming so hope everyone is safe. Keep your herps safe in the basement. While you sit on your recliner binging on chips.

12. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

i would glady take care and believe me i know all of their needs. i love lizards all kinds especially uro's their my favorite i already have one uro one bearded dragon and two leopard gecko's i know my stuff.

13. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

I'd never give away any critter to a petstore. >.< Those places bother me. Anyway.. thanks for the offer Leos_For_Life_182, I'll probably message you or something.. Don't want to say I don't believe you, I just want to make extra sure the uromastyx is going to a good home. There's chances I'll probably even ask you randomly how it's doing..

14. herpslave

herpslave Member

Well if you do believe in shipping. I could take it off your hands. I could pay the shipping charges and maybey give you alittle extra for being caring. I got some great large tanks ranging from 60-90 gallon tanks. Aswell as a wiring cage(5foot) for outside and inside.

15. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

i have a 180 gallon tank thats over six feet long and have lots of experience with uro's pm me if you need or want anything
    -jon

16. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

hey cynicaleuphoria hows the weather down there i saw its getting pretty crazy. my sister and her fiance are supposed to go to disney on monday but they might not now

17. herpslave

herpslave Member

Hey leos for life can I see apic of that 180 gallon, For some building Ideas.

18. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

I'm farther south so it isn't that bad. Yesterday was really nice actually; the heat was basically non-existant and it was slightly windy, and the night before had some really pretty storms. We're just getting the edge here. Kind of stinks though, this kind of cancels going to the Daytona show unless if all is well tomorrow.. But yeah, Disney might not be great, it was closed yesterday anyway. Who knows? They still might be able to go.