nice cage, no chameleons!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by 17year, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 17year

17year Embryo

first of all I would like to say hello to everyone, I am new here
    Here is my problem:

Spent last two weeks researching and building my perfect chameleon cage(3'x3'x6'). My problem is that I cannot find any good cham. dealers or local stores. The online thing just scares me, not being able to see the animal you are buying, some of the terms and conditions for gauranteed live arrival and just crazy(how am I to prove the ambient tempereature if the animal was to die in transit?). I also do not wish to put an animal in the hands of someone that has no regard for it i.e. the UPS man.
    I am interested in Veiled chams, if anyone has a solution to my problem I would greatly appreciate it. The area I live in is rural southeastern Michigan.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Shipping is usually pretty safe, but I can understand your apprehension with shipping a chameleon. Maybe you could wait until a show and get one there.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

Go on kingsnake.com and find reptile show listings. See if there is one in your area. I wont mail order either. It outs undo stress on the animal. Chameleons cannot take a whole lot of stress. Nice choice with the veiled by the way.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. vtbigyellow

vtbigyellow Embryo

where are you located?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 17year

17year Embryo

located near Adrian, MI

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. vtbigyellow

vtbigyellow Embryo

i've had chameleons shipped to me and shipped some myself. i think if the sender does a good job packing them and getting them ready for the trip, shipping isnt really a problem. keep in mind that the cham will be sleeping for most of the trip and seeing that youre in michigan, the temps shouldnt really be a problem either. juveniles and adults tend to hold up better than hatchlings. but i do see your point and i was nervous about getting a cham through the mail too. if youre interested, i have a female juvenile veiled available.

12. herpslave

herpslave Member

You can goto lllreptile and get some chamelons I believe 25-30 dollars@! aswell as baby beardies for 19 dollars. They are packaged quite good! Ive bought baby balls from them, A emperor scorpion, And In one more day since its now 12 am I am getting my shipment of 2 baby beardies for 19 dollars each form there too. Ohyah and 30 dollars shipping for the group.

13. blink

blink New Member

I'm live in Royal Oak, MI and they have some chameleons for sale. A place called Best Pets usually has them in stock and they seem to be a decent store. Theres a place in East Lansing called Pruess Pets, its one of the best pet stores I've been to. The staff is very knowledgeable and its hard to get a job there, you have to go through a series of interviews and such. I'll be shopping there while I'm attending MSU for my ball python. They usually have some baby chameleons in stock but they do sell out sometimes. I can't stress enough on how awesome the pople who work there are. Most (if not all) breed animals and I'm almost positive everyone in the reptile/amphibian department owns multiple herps.

My GF might got a job there, they called her back and set her up with a secound interview. she is an environmental biology/zoology major (as so am I) so she knows more than most people that apply for the job.

When we went on vacation to europe this past may, they watched her crested gecko and they know how to take care of their pets. I would trust them with my ball python. they're really friendly and sometimes when we visit, we just chat for awhile and someone there will have an answer to basically any question imaginable.

if you cannot find any near your area and are hesitant about buying online, I HIGHLY recommned the place. I'll give you the website URL so you can take a look. Its a single-owned pet store so the website isn't super high quality, but the place has experienced employees who are herp lovers.

heres the website: http://www.preusspets.com

If you have any questions, feel free to send a PM.

*NOTE*- they have different types of herps that aren't posted on their website. A lot more!

14. blizzardlizard

blizzardlizard New Member

i have ordered a cham from reptilemax.com and it is perfectly fine and twice as colorfull as i expected.

15. 17year

17year Embryo

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
    After EXTENSIVE research was able to locate a exotic specializing pet store within an hour of my home. I am now the proud owner of a 3 month old male veiled chameleon, named him Carlos. He has a wonderful knack of blasting his crickets off the branch rather than snatching them up. He just may be the Mike Tyson of Chameleons!

16. blink

blink New Member

glad to hear you were able to find one