Nile, Asian Water, or Corcodile Monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by BeardieFiend, May 16, 2005.

1. RepPrep

RepPrep Embryo

I have a baby sav right now and I love it,but I was considering a blackthroat. If I were you I'd go with the blackthroat because you said you dont want a sav. Its always fun bringing your new monitor home,keep us updated on your descision and good luck

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ohhh i touched a nerve................... ha ha ha ha ha, well at least somebody got my point. and thats what its all about, when your a nice guy you are overlooked, when your a prick people actually tend to read what you type...lol
    have fun
    scottM

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Monkeytailed

Monkeytailed Embryo

Not trying to cause chaos here of anything, and with all due respect, I am curious as to what your experience level is with varanids. You seem to be pretty bitter towards the more novice keeper, what makes you so defensive?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

monkeytail asked what i wanted to ask for awhile now. but lets not distrupt this forum with our nonsense by ending this now. thanx every1 for all the responses! :lol:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RepPrep

RepPrep Embryo

hey beardie I'm glad you are getting into monitors varanids is forgetting that he too was once a novice,so choose the best monitor for what you have and have fun

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

your right it does depend on the animal...but croc monitors are not noted for their freindly disposition...just the opposite..... we have a fairly docile one where i work..but he is an acception to the rule....they are fairly dangerous

12. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

Once again how much room do you exactly have?

13. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

i have a 12 by 14 foot room taht i converted for my lizards. the rest of my lizards take up about an eighth of th eroom but i think i have ample space.

14. nomad85

nomad85 Member

wait, your putting a monitor in a room with other lizards?? Thats not a good idea, unless you really want some dead or stressed out animals. Unless you build a cage that keeps the others from seeing the monitor and him from seeing them the monitor will likely try to get into the other tanks and may kill your other pets.. Even if he cant get into the tanks, just seeing a large monitor would make any smaller herp freak out. If you are going to have a monitor, you need to give it its own room, or suitable enclosure.

15. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

thanks, right now no lizard can see any other lizard. but when i get a monitor if i put it in the room would it be safe to put up a lil fencing system and partitions to keep him secluded in a corner to where nothing can see anything else?

16. nomad85

nomad85 Member

a chain link fence would let the monitor climb, so that wouldnt work. Maybe a partition like an office cubicle or just wooden boards could be put around your other cages... seems very difficult to implement though, you could try... just remember that these are really powerful lizards... If you could put you other lizards somewhere else that would be best, or look into building a custom enclosure to put it the room, a 10'-4/5' would be good for a sav/ionide. good luck :)

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if you are going to put any african monitor or a water or croc in a fenced in room with other lizards you are just begging for trouble. they will break through it to get to the other lizards and there will be TONS of damage done

18. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

and you guys wonder why I'm mean..................lol this kid has no concept about how destructive these animals can be, I genuinely mean this when i say it, "if you cant think of a safe way, or you dont have the room for such a monitor, DONT GET ONE, your ideas for caging are half thought out and diminutive, stick to beardies, leos and corn snakes, because at this point and time, anything beyond that, is beyond you"
    have a glorious day.
    scottM

19. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

He is at least asking before he purchases....thats more than most would do...seems to me he's not that un intelligent if he has the forsight to ask the questions, and get the right information. ..what happens from there, well who knows, but there is a lot of good advice here, as long as he takes it and keeps researching.....how do you get experience if you don't experience????

20. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

well said, mickey.
    But once again I have to suggest something smaller like a Sav, ackie, or tegu. You dont want to get im over your head. Plus you need to think about your future. I dont think anyone should own anything thats gets close to 10 foot when they still live with their parents. Because eventually you will move out to start your own life. and chances are wont be ble to afford a place with that much extra room. which leads to more herps stuck in rescues. I say if you cant fit its tank in your bedroom. then dont get it. Plus most apartments wont let you have a croc onitor that scares the crap out of everyone else in the building. (bad for business)
    If you go with something terrestrial like a tegu. you could get one of those under your bed tanks that they have on kingsnake. and sae room when you are gonna need it. You must remember the lifespan dude. and you sure as hell cant have much in a dorm.

21. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

see thats all i needed, someone answering my question if i could do it. at first i wondered what would be the best out of the three, then i wondered if i could store it. i am WAYS away from purchasing anything. can i ask questions veranidfan? is that ok? im not hurting anything by asking questions, right? if im not 100% sure that i cant do it then i wont. this is a preleminary post. because i know im not a full out pro on monitors or tegus but how am i to learn if some1 is telling me i cant do it instead of trying to help me do it. not trying to be mean but theres some people out there that want to see other people happy with these wonderful creatures, and frankly veranidfan maybe u dont wanna share the joy.

thanx to every1 tho, this post is longer than i thought it would ever be. thanx for the support.

22. ryzard

ryzard New Member

23. ryzard

ryzard New Member

there was no need for the way things were said in here, but EVERYONE'S points were valid.
    I say don't get a sav if you don't like it, there are plenty of other options. That's where I was, I was just going to get a sav because that's what everyone suggested after my blackthroat died, but you know what I didn't really want one, so I went for a tegu and couldn't be happier. Temperment's great and they're just as big as monitors. But I gotta say, my fav is still the whitethroat they're awesome creatures.

24. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

my tegus are the BEST. Where I work, people come in EVERY DAY to trade in their large animals (croc monitors, big savs, large iguanas, even huge alligators), because they get huge and then they are hard to handle so everyone thinks herps are disposable and they downsize...getting a big animal, or one with the potential to be big is a huge commitment and should be considered very, very carefully..it makes me ill when someone comes in and says "geez, I've had this croc for 4 years now...its time for something smaller and easier to handle?" I wanna say "would you trade in your DOG like that?" they are beautiful animals, however Tegus are the biggest for me, I get to see plenty of everyone elses outcasts on a daily bases. Anyway, keep asking questions and doing research, and you'll do great. Most of the advice you're getting here is good...good luck!

25. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

thanx for the advice. im doing alot of research before even thinking about getting any big lizard, i just wanted an idea on what one i should research.