Niles

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by skrwdrivr, Apr 12, 2005.

1. YourMainParadox

YourMainParadox Embryo

I currently have (and sorry about the misspell been working a 14hour day and posted late last night) the uromastyx in a huge enclosure (not sure of exact size) They all have hide boxes except the ones that dig down in the repti sand. As for heat the two basking spots stay around 100. One of the two is very active and loves to explore around and eats well and is very well built. The other is very scrawny and never even moves to the basking spots. I will put her there but she will just stay there till she gets over heated and opens her mouth to vent. I have tried pinkies, meal worms, worms, crickets, reti food pellets, fresh greens and fruits, and even cat food and ground turkey (which are the two things my skink and beardies love)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nomad85

nomad85 Member

First off I wouldnt use repti sand, they dont live in sand in the wild and it can cause impactions and doesnt hold a burrow very well. Crypress mulch is a safe substrate, but it wont hold a burrow either, There are some good clay based soils you could try or just use cyrpress mulch with a hide. Try to get the temp up to the 120's uros love heat. Ive heard of uros that wont move at all or eat, Try soaking it daily and lett ing it heat up then try to feed it some greens and a few crickets, they are mainly vegetarians though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dont use repti sand as the calcium in it is harmful to the uros playsand is fine. never use anything that can hold humidity. the best substrate for uros is birdseed. yes birdseed. check out www.deerfernfarms.com they are the best and they know there uros.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nomad85

nomad85 Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

deerferfarms has been doing this for many many years and although i love pro exotics, they do not compare with deer fern for uros.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nomad85

nomad85 Member

Just because they've been around longer doenst mean they are better... pro exotics uros grow faster, and they are all captive bred.. and look better than any other uros ive seen... and the substrate should hold humidity... they dont live in dry desiccated burrows in the wild, they live in moist somwhat humid burrows.. bird seed and sand do not allow any burrowing.. people keep their uros way to dry...

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

most uros do prefer dryer climate though and cypress mulch doesnt hold burrows either. deer fern have been doing this for many years. they hand pick wild caughts and then breed them and sell off the offspring. but this is getting out of topic so im ending my argument

13. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

If you realy want a nile their is no stopping you, but they are very agresive. Another monitor u should look into is the savanna. I have a savanna and i love him to death. Blackthroughts also make a good pet. My best friend has one and he is very happy,but as i said if its a nile you want go for it.Good luck

14. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Don't do it. They're evil. Unless you want one purely to look at, it's no pet when it gets older.

15. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

couldnt the temperment of a nile be a lil bit calmed down and less agressive if held almost every day from hatching? or is the nile just a killer by nature?

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

nope. niles are aggressive by nature. as hatchlings they are calm and laid back, but no matter how much handling, they always become aggressive as adults

17. nomad85

nomad85 Member

a tame adult nile(there are a few) is a broken adult nile, and who would want that?