NO NEW TOPICS SO ILL START ONE.. soon to have a veiled femal

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by rickyherring, Nov 15, 2005.

1. rickyherring

rickyherring New Member

i thinking of getting a veiled female and start breeding
    i have a extra cage and all the stuff to get it going and a new job to run
    this little plan of mine any tips and info would be great
    my male is pushing a year old (just shed) very cool colors
    any one have a female veiled for sale of that age
    i could post some pics of my male and his set up he free romes
    in my room

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

RE: NO NEW TOPICS SO ILL START ONE.. soon to have a veiled f

Do alot of research, breeding takes alot out of the female. Incubation time takes several months.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Woodnherps

Woodnherps New Member

Will this be your first breeding project?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. rickyherring

rickyherring New Member

yes it will any advise temps how long to icubate any one please i need info

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Incubate in totally darkness, daytime temp 80~88F (26.7 to 31.1C) nighttime drop to low 74F (23.3C) should hatch 150 to 190 days or longer)
    I'm actually have over 100 eggs in incubation now 1st time for me (2 clutches) 60 and 73 eggs. (some were lost, mold due to not beeing fertile)Pic's can be seen in another post. Older smaller male mated with female twice before letting the younger bigger male mate.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. rickyherring

rickyherring New Member

sunburst any pics of your cages and set ups also how do u design a good
    nesting site do u know any one who is selling a female i live in socal

12. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

One of my cages. lost some pic's
    [​IMG]
    Left over plywood made a nesting box approximately 10x10x12 inches, stain and polyurethane for water proofing, filled with mixture of 50% Peat moss and sand slightly moist so it doesn't cave in on her, branches leading to box.
    [​IMG]

13. opti

opti New Member

What are those horizontal pole type of climbing things in those cages? I see everyone use them. How do you keep them attached inside the cage?

14. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Bamboo sticks hollow inside after cutting to lenght use sheet metal screws to attach to screening.
    [​IMG]

15. rickyherring

rickyherring New Member

COULD U GIVE US A STEP BY STEP ON CAGE BUILDING?

16. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

yes i would love 2 know i do have some exp building cages as i built my ferrets cage its about 50in by30in by 58in so it would be cool to build a cage for my expected cham

17. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

OK I will give it a try.

Items needed.
    10 pieces of 1x2x96, you need to cut down the center, leave a few uncut for base support.
    100 pc's of woodscrews 1.25x6 $3.29
    Carpenters wood glue or hot glue gun.
    3 , 1x3x2 pine wood for the base sides.
    Hardware cloth or aluminum screening.
    Stain and Fast drying Polyurethane clearcoat.
    Brass hinges for the door, handle and door latch.
    Some plywood for the top piece.
    Tools needed.
    Miter box
    Saw
    drill and assorted drill sizes.
    Some wood files, 150 grit sandpaper.
    Stapler, staples, small hammer.

1st thing I did was built the base of the cage using cheap pine 1x3x2ft. I went with 2ft by 2ft dimensions, only three sides opening for the tray, added 3 small 1x2x2ft on inside to support the plants. Wood Glued and wood screws were used for strenght. No screening only after stain and polyurethane clear coat. Examine pic's to get an idea.
    [​IMG]
    Next I constructed the front frame using 1inchx2inchx8ft bought at Home depot $1.53 each, cut down the center makes 2, 1x1x96 that's how you get the thinner pieces, might as well cut up a bunch and get them all ready.
    First cut the wood to the correct lenghts one 1x2x96 can make one frame, get a miter box and cut 45 degree angle for the corners, pilot drill holes for the woodscrews, chamfer flush with the wood, use wood glue. Make sure the screw head is on the bottom, so it doesn't show, cleaner look.
    [​IMG]
    Once you built the front frame you can concentrate on how you want you door to be? I just added another long piece for the door latch area, and added 2 more pieces to complete the frame, then I worked on the door frame itself make sure it's a snug fit if you don't want critters escaping.
    I also made notches so the frame pieces settle tightly and used wood glue and wood screws again for added strenght. Once that is complete you can start adding smaller frame support pieces and door stop. See pic.
    [​IMG]
    Then I concentrated on the back frame, which is a lot easier than the front, I just built a frame and add a single support piece down the center. Once the back is completed you can concentrate on the side frames which will fit inside the front and back piece. See Pic.
    [​IMG]
    Nevermind the bamboo sticks. You can see how all the frames connect together using wood screws. As you can see I screen on the outside so I can used the support pieces to hold up branches and Bamboo sticks.
    [​IMG]
    Once all the sides are finished add a 1/4 2ftx2ft plywood for the top and you can work on the slide out tray, which is just using plywood and some 1x2 pieces of pine wood glued and screwed down for water tight. Once all the construction is done you can start prepping the wood for stain and polyurethane clear coat to protected from all the misting etc. Once dry add
    your choice of screening. I used a electric stape gun which sometime didn't drive the staple all the way, used small hammer on stubborn staples. This is the female cage slightly larger 2x2.5x4.
    [​IMG]
    It's not hard to built pine wood is relatively soft wood, you can use premium pine wood or other exotic wood if you want it badass. But I had to built 3 so I went cheap.
    Good Luck, as you can see my chameleons really love their cages and they are thriving good. Cages can be disassemble into 7 pieces for easy transport, etc.
    If you have any question let me know.

18. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Finished cages.
    [​IMG]

19. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

sunburst would u think about building a sell one lol

20. rickyherring

rickyherring New Member

ya i would buy one very soon and pay shipping

21. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

same here ricky took my idea lol

22. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful cgaes sunburst - no wonder your chams are so colourful and happy :) Is it okay with you if I print off the instructions for building them? I would like to put them to my hubby to see if he can build me one!! We have already built a 6x5x5 iguana enclosure but that is getting converted into little vivs within one unit for my beardies. :)

23. Woodnherps

Woodnherps New Member

Beautiful cages :wink: are you sure your eggs were infertile? My first breeding project was a veiled. I lost a ton of eggs, but it was my fault. Keeping those things in an incubator for so long makes them sensitive to water, too much or too little. I started candle lighting my eggs, all were fertile. I just needed some practice. I went to leo's then came back to veiled's.
    I am a trim carpenter hence the name Woodnherps.
    I build custom enclosures all of the time. From a pro's standpoint, those are phat.

24. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Thanks, Yes I don't mine if you print it out, that's why I posted it. Sorry I don't feel like going through all that again, I don't know if it will be worth it labor and all. Anyways was hoping someone might give it a go and post pic's.

Well this my 1st attempt at breeding. 1st batch she laid 60 lost 15 so 45 eggs still in incubation box, substrate perlite. 4 months now, appears fertile eggs appears redish. Small pin holes for air, mostly 100% humidity.
    [​IMG]
    Second batch she laid 73 lost 4, 69 eggs incubation. She at it again 3rd clutch coming soon!
    I create a egg laying monster!
    [​IMG]

25. LeoGeckos-Rule

LeoGeckos-Rule Member

beautiful cages, wat are u gonna do with all those baby chams, ure gonna have 100's, are u gonna put them all in a cage 1 like that or in seperate 10 gallons?