No poop?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by slowfoxbird, Oct 28, 2005.

1. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

I brought home my blood python on Oct 2. It has eaten every week since I brought it home. However, I still have not seen any poop. Its about 17 to 18 inches now, has not shed since I brought it home, and it has not pooped, unless I just cant find the poop. I could always find my ball python's poop when I had one. But I dont remember how long it took it to poop the first time either.... Is this normal? I am thinking it is not pooping because it is still growing, and keeping every bit of nutrient its body can get ahold of, and that its body has no waste yet? Its behavior has not changed since I brought it home. I think it urinated in its water dish early this morning because there was some kind of white slimy stuff floating in it when I went to change it. Any help would be good please...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

My python will take one during a shed and then one between sheds. Most snakes usually let one go in their shed. You'll be able to find it's bowel easily when its about 18 inches.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

So I guess I was just freaking out for no reason. I was holding it last night and feeling the back part of its body. I am no vet, but I dont think I felt any poop in there yet. Its not time to shed yet because its eyes are still clear, and it has a lot of color still.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

I think it might poop soon. It has a bulge right in front of the vent, and part of it feels firm like the white urate ball.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Still no poop. I hope I am not freaking out for no reason. I noticed today that about the last 6 inches of its body the bottom goes from flat to kinda round and bulging. Certainly the poop cant be that big can it? I took some pics of what I am talking about. Has anyone else ever noticed this with thier snake? Is it normal? Should I see a vet? I dont want to end up with a dead snake here, behaviour seems to be normal still.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics are not the best, but I think you will be able to see what I am talking about.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon for a bulge to be that big before it lets one go. It usually means in a day or so it will defecate. If the bulge keeps getting bigger and bigger for about a week or more I would go to the vet. It may have some substrate clogging the digestive path.

12. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I am just curious/worried, because this is my first Blood, and I want to make sure it stays happy. I was wondering about the size of the bulge because the snake is only about 18 inches long.

13. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Took the snake to the vet yesterday afternoon. I got too scared of having a ruptured intestine. Vet found a huge ball of urates clogging things up. Had to knock the little thing out to get the urates out. After that a big smelly turd came rolling on out. I had never been so relieved to see a big poop. Things should be getting back to normal now.

14. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

thats great to hear!! next time, i would try soaking in slightly warmer than room temp water. my younger boas let loose in their water dishes that are right above the heat pads, i think the water helps loosen up whatever is brewing inside.

how did the vet get the urates out? did he say if your blood might have been dehydrated causing the blockage?

~Will.

15. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

She just kinda massaged it out after she knocked it out. Snake was too cranky to do it awake. I took it because I have never had to do anything like that before, and did not want to bust anything.

16. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

wow very nice to hear!!! glad you got it resolved and i hope it doesnt happen anytime soon!!! :mrgreen:

17. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Well, it has been about a month and a half, and this time I just waited things out. Misery left its first unassisted poop in the cage last night. With the urate balls, it measured about 6 inches!! I was just over worried before, because I was used to my old ball python that would poop a couple of days after it ate every time. BTW, Misery is about 21 inches now, was 16" when I first brought it home.

18. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Eventually they get a lot bigger than that!! :)

19. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Yeah, a guy I know told me to just be thankful that I dont have to break it up to flush it yet!! LOL!!

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

LOL!!! He ain't kiddin' either!!