No Reptiles In Detroit

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by KrazyKelli, Dec 29, 2004.

1. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I'm not at all sure if this is true, since I grew up around detroit and all. But I recently saw on a tele program that reptiles are banned from being kept as pets in detroit.

I don't know if they meant ALL reptiles, exotic ones (like gators and poisonous snakes), or if it's a real law at all. There's that and if it's only in the main city of detroit and not the suberbs around it.

Don't know how to check so if any help can be given, feel free to speak up.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xile

xile Member

I've heard that detroit has a complete ban on all exotics...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Just wanna clarify this though I put it in my front post. Leos aren't included in exotics, are they?

I also found recently a petstore for snakes, lizards, frogs, spiders, and fish in Livonia (suberb area west of detroit) I could probably move around there if the City doesn't allow even geckos.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea leos are exotics

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xile

xile Member

KrazyKelli I believe that the ban is only in the actual city of detroit. I have seen TV shows where they take animals from detroit homes and send them to a suburb exotic hospital...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Ah! Thanks for clearing that part up, Xile. And many thanks for the quick answers, klik.

I wonder why they have the ban...

12. xile

xile Member

It's because detriot is very populated and reptiles released from captivity can damage the ecosystem.

13. Trigunfan

Trigunfan New Member

also if u have a big snake it could cause panic

14. Blue_the_Gecko

Blue_the_Gecko Embryo

CITY OF DETROIT

ORDINANCES GOVERNING ANIMALS

CHAPTER 6

Sec. 6-1-1
    Unlawful to transport any animal on the streets in a manner, which will endanger the animal's well being.

Sec. 6-1-3
    Unlawful to keep wild or undomesticated animals.

Sec. 6-1-4
    Unlawful to keep reptiles or serpents other than turtles.

Sec. 6-1-5
    Unlawful to keep any animal that is declared to be a nuisance.

Sec. 6-1-6
    Unlawful to harbor or own a vicious dog.

Sec. 6-1-7
    Unlawful to harbor or keep a dog which, by loud, frequent or habitual barking, yelping or howling causes a public nuisance to neighbors or passing people.

Sec. 6-1-8
    A dog suspected of having rabies, or one who has been bitten by an animal with rabies, or one who has bitten a person, must, upon demand of the Health Department, be surrendered for rabies observation.

Sec. 6-1-9
    (A) The owner of a dog will be liable for damages caused by his/her dog.

(;) A person allowing a dog to be lodged within his/her house, store or building will be considered as harboring the dog.

Sec. 6-2-1
    No dog will be permitted in any public place except when held securely by a leash of suitable strength and length by the owner and/or responsible person or when confined in a shipping receptacle or closed automobile.

Sec. 6-2-2
    Unlawful for any person to harbor or hold for reward a stray dog. It shall be the duty of all persons to immediately notify or turn over to the City Animal Control Center all such stray animals.

Sec. 6-2-3
    Any dog in the city kept, sheltered, owned, and over (4) months of age (State Law), shall at all times be vaccinated against rabies.

Sec. 6-2-16
    Unlawful for any person to own, possess or harbor a dog over (4) months of age (State Law) in the city without purchasing a license.

Sec. 6-2-21
    License must be attached to dog.

Sec. 6-4-2
    Unlawful to sell or give away baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings or other fowl as pets or novelties.

Sec. 26-5-21
    Unlawful for any person to own, possess or harbor any farm animals in the city of Detroit, unless prescribed by Department of Buildings and Safety Engineering.

Sec. 6-3-3
    It shall be the duty of the Animal Control Division to pursue and promptly seize, all animals not contained by a leash or a fence. These animals are to be delivered to the Animal Control Center.

The above ordinances are misdemeanors which violators are subject to a $500.00 fine and/or 90 day imprisonment penalty.

Just wanted to give you the actual rules and ordinances as they are listed on the City of Detroit's website. Sorry for the extra info. The laws are not written very "legalize", but they are quite plain and easy to understand.

15. Kathy_and_Bert

Kathy_and_Bert New Member

No self respecting reptile would ever want to live in Detroit anyway! SO THERE LOL

16. Bluefish

Bluefish Embryo

they are banned in Detroit because Detroit is a disgusting cesspool of humanity and some politician determined one way to get electe...er I mean clean up this cesspool was to ban exotics.

All it takes is the local news covering some cops wrestling a 15' angry retic out of a crack dealer's house, maybe some interviews with official people looking official saying officially official things about how you can buy these things at the local liquor store for next to nothing and the drug dealers always use them to protect their stash, placing the neighborhood, children and law enforcement in danger of being eaten...and voila...no more exotics in Detroit.

Of course this applies to the 3" leo as well. Because you might use it to protect a doobie or something.

17. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

***Note to self....use Rouge (evil, vicious man/woman-eating leo) as doobie-guard*** ;)