No uvb no basking lamp no heater

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by vodka9er, Jan 27, 2006.

1. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

i bought 2 res whent hey were only about the size of 2 quaters on dies bcasue it never ate and the other one i satil have "that was wehen they were little i have had them for about 5 or 6 years" Now every one says that i need a uvb light a heat lamp and all this other **** listen i have had these fr 6 years and i have never had a heater uvb basking ligh never and he is doing fine i will try to posty a pick of her tank "could it be that she adapoted to not having a heater etc?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

sorry about the typing

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible for an animal to survive in even the worst of conditions, so yeah, just not having a heater may not deter the turtle from living, but not providing proper heating, basking areas, and UV lighting is an issue. we just recently received a RES that is 4 yrs old and much smaller than he should be because he was living in the same environment as your RES, and also in a small turtle bowl. So yes, they can live like that. But the thing is, we're not here to just have these animals and most of us aren't interested in just providing the barest accomodations required to keep them alive. We're here to find out what is best for our animals and to help them to thrive. Don't dismiss all the things people recommend for you turtles as poop. There are reasons they are recommended. We don't spend all the money we do spend on our animals for kicks. We do it because it's what's best for them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

LOOK AT MY RES

i didn't mean to dismiss that stuff as "poop" and my res seems to be of normal size. i am sorry for upsetting you but my res is very happy healthey and i love him. and in the summer i put him out side in a gian't kiddy pool all summer he loves it!!!!! i will post a picture of him. and for your infomation i am almost at enof monny to buy a 75 gallon with all the workswitch is costing me 500 plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111. "keep in mind i'm 16 and have to buy everything myselF"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

RE: LOOK AT MY RES

I wasn't upset, just stating my opinion. The tank you have would be better if you filled it with more water and a larger basking rock. I like to use those plastic coated shelf racks that they sell at the home improvement stores. They're cheap and all you have to do it set a flat rock on top. It opens up the area underneath for swimming space. By the size, it looks like you have a female. Putting her out in the pool is good. She gets natural sunlight and UV that way and the temps are warmer. What are you feeding her?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

those little pellets stick in the first pic i dopn't really want ot spend anymore monney on it because i only need like 50 bucks more untill i get the new setup witch i'm going to get one of those turtle docks maybe 2 of them

12. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

anyway i didn't under stand what u ment by those plastic shelfs so mauybe u could post a pic od yer setup

13. biochic

The turtle sticks and the goldfish are really high in proteins and fats. You may want to try some greens like mustard and collards, they're cheap and last a long time and your turtle really needs a varied diet.
    I don't have a pic of my tank right now, but I did find a picof the type of shelf i was referring to:
    [​IMG]

14. vodka9er

vodka9er New Member

thats a good idea i'm gonna try that

15. kelly1982

kelly1982 New Member

I just want to point something out . Could you imagine living without heat and sunlight and the same meal everyday animals need just as much as we do sometimes more . I would get your poor girl the stuff she needs and she will be alot happier for it . She might be surviving but it would be nice to give her nice things .

16. lynner

lynner New Member

I used to be like you when i got my turtle and i also had to buy everything myself. i started with him in a plastic tote with some water and the tote slanted so he could get outta the water and then i did some research and within a month i bought a 55 gallon tank with a fluval filter system, heater, lights (UVA and UVB), and a whole bunch of other stuff and this costed me upwards of 700 dollars and i came to the conclusion that in order to keep an animal you should keep it right.
    lynner
    P.S. I was only 10 when all this took place and i got the money from hard work and determination and wasnt lazy about it

17. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

i would recommend the first thing you get would be the UVA-UVB bulb you could get a small one for the mean time for like 10 bucks at the pet store until you can get a new set up. As stated before, turtles can survive in the situation that you have set up for them, but it doesnt mean its the best situation. The probable reason why the other one died when you got the two was because it didnt have the UVA-UVB it needed. Turtles get depressed when they dont get the UVs they need and end up not eating. Just think of the two things like prozac for your turtle. Shell probably be so much more happier if you get her a temp. little UVA-UVB bulb.

18. zoodweeb

zoodweeb New Member

when i got my two turtles i was 16 and yes just like many did some research but maybe not enough. i started my trutels. (which are both rescues) out in a large tote with not enough light or basking areas or filteration. at least another 1000 bucks later. and three diffrent filters they now have 4x4x2 cage and much more. I think that the light and the basking area are of egual importance being that my turtes suffered through alot of shell rot becaue of lack of filteration and also lack of basking area. i do have one question thou previousley it was mentioned that veggies are good for trutles mine wont eat them for the life of me whats the best way? just my story and my thoughts.

19. biochic

The best way I've found to get them to eat veggies, like greens, is to back off of any protein sources like pellets, fish, or crickets and to continuously offer the greens. So basically make sure they are hungry (but not starved) and that there is always a fresh supply of greens to eat instead. Once they start eating the greens, you can start offering the normal protein sources again.

20. zoodweeb

zoodweeb New Member

that sounds like some good advice i would try other ways first so they dont end up dead how long can a trutel go with out food?

21. biochic

I'm not suggesting that he starve them. I said back off of the protein sources so that they are more hungry. A turtle can go for several days without food and not suffer from it too much, but I would never recommend allowing them to go that long.