normal sinaloan behavior?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by CraniumDesigns, Oct 23, 2007.

1. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns New Member

hey guys,

i just got my 2nd snake. i got a ball python back in june 06 and i just got an 8 week old sinaloan milk snake 3 days ago. when i held him in the store he was cool. he's been in his 20 gallon setup for 3 days now and i figured that was long enough for him to get used to it. i try to pick him up, but he's jumpy as hell and runs away really fast from me. my ball is much slower and just coils up when scared. this guy runs and hides. should i worry about getting bitten? i still have never been bitten and i'm not sure what it's like. should i just pick him up anywayz or leave him alone for a couple more days and hope he settles down?

*EDIT* ok, so i got some balls and picked him up. damn he is fast. hard to grab. anywayz, i had to hold on tight cuz he was jerking all around. he seemed really freaked out. is this normal? how do i get him used to me? just daily handling?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

My Sinaloan is about one year old and is still pretty shy. He gets out of his hide often but will go back in his hide when he sees me. The milk has never tagged me nor has he even struck at me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. blaqwraith

blaqwraith Embryo

I had just gotten my 8 month old black milk just last month, and boy was he jumpy! I gave him the same amount of days as you until I handled him, and at first he really didn't want to be handled, he's never bitten me yet, never struck at me or anything, but he was so skittish, and sometimes I can be impatient lol, but I knew that I'd have to be patient with him. He was sent to me from a breeder in California (I live in Ohio) so I understood he was still stressed from the trip. He's calmed down so much for me now, I think once he's gotten use to my scent and being handled regularly, I started handling him for a few minutes everyday, and gradually built up to handling him for a longer period of time during each day. I'm sure once he gets use to your scent and you gain his trust, he'll definitely calm down. All snakes are different and have a different personality, but I think with a lot of patience and handling he'll do a lot better.