Not shedding anole, black spots, HELp (quick reply please)

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Anolen00b, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

I went to PetsMart today to return something for my puppy and I looked in the tank for green anoles and I saw this HUGE male. He was about 4 to 5 inches long. At closer inspection I noticed some black spots and he was shedding. So feeling sorry for the guy, I bought him. I brought him home and put him in with the rest of my green. He just laid there and moved around when needed. His eyes were open and he wasnt sluggish, just not as mobile as the rest. He did move from one side to the other tho.

After having him home for awhile, I felt it best to move him over to his own tank. When I took him out of the tank, he was very each to catch (unlike my younger ones). He didnt move around alot and just sat in my light grasp very at peace.

So I put him in the new tank and I noticed even more spots. Under his neck below the dewlap some spots. He has some black areas (small) behind his eyes, he is shedding and he doesnt seem to want to get it off. He doesnt want to do much, but does move around.

My question...What can I do for him to save him? I am temped to help shed but I read that could cause more damage. I thought about drawing a bath for him (but I cant draw, hahaha). I am thinking of taking him to the vet tomorrow and see if they can tell me something. Hopefully good news.

Please help. The quicker the better. The vet visit wont be for 2 more days tho :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Can you call the vet and ask for some advice until you can get him in? Don't know what to tell you other than to make sure there is moisture around for him. Leave a shallow bowl of water (maybe he'll soak in it like leos will sometimes). Other than that... glad to hear you seperated them. If it's something contagious (parasites, etc) I'd hate to see you lose your other anoles because they're together. I would still keep an eye on the others now though, just in case, since you did put them together at first. Let me know what the vet says and good luck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

I got up this morning (7:45) and I turned on the light and more of the shedding it coming off. I am going to call a vet today (hope I can) and see what they can tell me about the black spots. But he is not the only one with black spots, I have a female in there with them and no one elsehas contracted any.

So this is an update of good news.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sirch

Sirch Member

maybe the spots are ticks?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

ticks arent that big, they are smaller than ticks too.

I didnt get him to the vet, time was short today and not alot of money.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It is very underweight and the black spots behind the eyes are a sign of illness or SEVERE stress in Anoles if I remember correctly. I would say head off to the vet ASAP!

13. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

OK. I will try to make a visit tonight. Thanks very much.

14. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I agree with Stormy... vet ASAP. He's very underweight and very stressed (probably from illness). He definitely shouldn't be that colour and his tail has all the bones showing. Let us know what the vet says... good luck.

15. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

16. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Colour definitely is better, but the weight and the black spots would have me running to the vet.

17. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

Ok, I took him to the vet this morning at 10:30 est. The doctor felt him and looked him over and opened the mouth and said that he is healthy, just needs some more food and the food to be dusted. He got a stool sample and found no parasites (a good thing). So 60$ and nothing wrong with him. He is green as can be tho.

18. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Good to hear it was nothing to be concerned about. What did the vet say about the black spots? If he doesn't start eating and the sheds are still an issue I would suggest a second fecal as well... I've heard of cases with parasites not being found for a couple of samples.

19. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

Update: The other day b4 I moved him back into the bigger cage, I hand fed him 3 meal worms and he took all three of them. He is the only one that I have seen eat the meal worms. Thanks for your advise. He still has some skin hanging off of him. I am going to go go some water treatment that has electrolytes in it. So that my anoles have more energy.

20. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

I think I know what the prob is, I have many green anoles running around my house and I often just watch everyday things that they do in the wild. And I've noticed that the big male anoles just don't seem to care about moving as much as younger ones do. They perfer to just perch themselves in a comfortable place and observe there surroundings, much in the manner of the Alpha male lion in a lpride of lions. the black spots are usually just scars form other anoles biting them (females have alot to for mating experiences) they're prey fighting back, or they could be burns from the light in the cage it was being kept in. I've noticed that no other anole but greens have this characteristic.

I know that you said you figured it out already but I just thought I'd give you some extra info. :D

21. Anolen00b

Anolen00b New Member

Thanks for the input. I actually have been noticing more movement from him and the black spots seem to be going away. So I am encouraged that he is getting better. Thnx for your inport.

22. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

went to the Bahamas this summer, only herps I saw were Curly-tailed lizards, brown anoles, and an anole that looked like a green anole. (but I don't think greenies are native to the Bahamas and I don't think they are introduced.???) is there an anole in the B. Islands thats green?. This was on Grand Bahama Island if that helps, I know there is different wildlife on each island.

I never heard of a Bahamian anole, know a site with pics of em?

thanks

23. herpslave

herpslave Member

If you think its sick try to quarantine. That wa a bad mistake even if it wasn't sick. You should always quarantine petstore bought animals for a good period of time before there with any other animals. Or you could of let himspread a disease. but thankfully hes not sick I guess.