Not sure what's wrong with my water dragon!!!!!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Dynox, May 25, 2007.

1. Dynox

Dynox Embryo

Hi, I'm new to here but I've been reading posts from this site from some time now. I just moved my chinese water dragon 2 days ago from a 20 gallon to a 20 long. Ever since moving him, he hasn't ate, and he has stayed a brown color. I did notice at night when he was sleeping that his color went back to a nice light green like it should be. As soon as he awoke he went back to brown. He moves around a bunch, keeps his eye's open, and looks around alot. He also has been jumpin in and out of his water. My humidity stays from 80 to 84, temp in basking is around 85 to 90, temp for the rest of the cage is around 72 to 78. I've done alot of reading on taking care of water dragons and have provided everything for him. I don't know if he's just getting use to the new cage or if he might be sick? I am hoping that he is just about to shed instead of beign sick. I also mist the cage 3 times a day. He is only 10 inches long give or take a little cause I can never get him to lay completely straight long enough. :) I usually feed him crickets but the pet store around here has been out of them for a few days now so I've been feeding him mealworms. It just really worries me cause I have spent close to a grand getting everything he needs. And I really love him. I talk to him everyday, pet him everyday, take him out and let him crawl up and down my arms and shoulders. It would certainly break my heart and make me cry if he died. So if anyone could help me it would be great.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

He's likely just getting used to his new home.

Have you tried giving him greens and veggies and a little bit of fruit?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sensation

Sensation New Member

Did you start feeding mealworms instead of crix the same time you switched his cage? If not than it's most likely because hes just getting settled in. Also I think a regular 20 gallon would be better than 20 long.

I wouldnt worry about him he should be eating in no time. Just go to a different store and get some crix. Also do you mind if I ask what you bought with the grand?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dynox

Dynox Embryo

I finally got crickets the other day and he ate them up nice and fast. He's still a dark brown though. I was feeding him mealworms before I moved him, but after I moved him he wouldn't eat them. I have tried feeding him fruit before but he wouldn't eat it. I held it in front of him with tweezers but he just closed his eyes and acted stuck up. (which is a little funny when you picture the reaction :) ) Yesterday he was a nice bright green color all day, but this morning he is dark brown almost black in color. Also what kinds of fruits, veggies, and greens can I feed him? The time I tried feeding him it was a mango I believe.

As for what I've spent. Two cages so far, cricket keeper, bedding, plants, tree limbs, water dishes, light bulbs, soil, temp / humidity gauge, cleaning sprays, vitamin spray for crickets, cricket food.....pretty much everything possible to recreate the perfect tropical environment. I've also purchased some items for when he's fully grown.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Babies (under 18" STL) tend to be darker in color, it acts as a natural camaflauge in the wild. I'd let him settle in, and he should brighten up considerably as he gets older.

~Michelle

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

The dark coloration is often stress...he may still be getting used to the changes in his caging. I have never petted mine...but I have allowed them to come out of the cage and sit on me. It would worry me that petting it would be more stressful than allowing it to sit on me.

You said you offered him fruit using tweezers...his reaction "closed his eyes and acted stuck up"..is one of fear. Do you hand feed him the insects too?

Just a few questions and comments to make sure you are giving the dragon what it needs...

UVB light is important. Exposure to UVB allows the dragon to produce vitamin D3 and that allows it to use the calcium in its diet. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic. Sunlight is the best source of UVB...but its not always possible for us to keep the dragons outside.

Most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous...so dusting the insects with a phosphorous-free calcium powder before feeding them to the dragon helps to make up for this.

I dust the insects twice a month with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene source of vitamin A in it. Beta carotene sources of vitamin A won't build up in the system...but preformed sources can. Excess preformed may affect the performance of the D3 in the system and may lead to MBD.

I also dust the insects with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month since my dragons don't get any direct sunlight. D3 from supplements can also build up in the system...so don't overdo it.

I also gutload my insects and feed them a nutritious diet.

Since water dragons are omnivores...I give them fresh greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, ROMAINE lettuce, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red peppers, etc.) and a little bit of fruit (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.) two or three times a week.

Make sure that any plants you use in the cage are non-toxic and well-washed (both sides of the leaves) so that if the dragon or the insects nibble on them it won't cause them any harm.

Access to fresh clean water allows the dragon to bathe and defecate and shed its skin easier.

Hope this helps and that your dragon will soon be relaxed. If the problem continues...please post again.

12. ruksgotthebucks

ruksgotthebucks New Member

i agree with everyone,he is probably stressed from making the move,and a 20 long really isnt going to make him extremely happy,the smallest tank i have a water dragon in is a 20h and thats cuz he is still small,my other is housed in a 24wx24hx18d terrarium which she loves,the more room they have the better and height is better than side to side.....they love to climb and leap around,but im sure as long as all your temps and everything is right your dragon will brighten up and be its happy self!!

13. my_babys

my_babys New Member

he is just like us when moving home it takes time to get used to they dont really like change you did say you changed tank to a 20 gallon in length cwd's really need height aswell especially with them getting bigger . if you have changed his food aswell thats just too much for them to take . my cwd's one is 1yr and one is 4months and they are in 3ft long by 4 ft height and 1.5 ft deep

14. tomtom

tomtom New Member

The only thing I would say is I agree with everyone else. I did have a few concerns though, the temps seem alittle low, my basking area is around 95 and he sits in it most of the day, his ambient temps are usualy around 85 and night time is around 76. I would suggest getting him a bigger tank though. Mine was in a 30 wide from when he was 8 inches to 12 inches, then I built him a 5 wide x 5 high x 2 deep from then on and he has grown 6 inches in a month and a half, and i know his home will last him his entire life as opposed to having to move him up and up and up every time he needs a new one. Thats just my two cents, what you do is what you do though :p