off-topic ques from a PC dummy

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Spot, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

'don't mean to abuse this reptile forum with a totally unrelated issue, but I know that there's a quite a lot of PC experts out there, so 'hope you don't mind my asking.

We just got a new up-graded PC so that my son cld play online games. I guess it's really hi speed and all and he's happy about that but for whatever reason, everytime there's a phone call to the house, the internet connection is lost. We have a separate DSL line and have 3 other macs connected to it and there's no problem with interruption. As a matter of fact, when my son is connected to the internet for other stuff on the PC, there's no interruption. Apparantly, it only happens when he's online playing games. I tell him it's a sign telling him he's playing too many games ;)

Does anyone know what's going on???

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sirch

Sirch Member

i think your problem is the wireless phone and internet signals intersect.
    wireless phone signals and wireless router signals are usually on the same frequency which is probably your problem
    try getting a new router or wireless phone with a different frequency (if it gets to be a real problem)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

That is a strange one... usually if an internet connection is lost it is lost. Do you have answering maching software or anything like that running on the pc?
    Sirch's theory could also be a possiblilty I suppose..... is your computer wired to the LAN or is it wireless?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ziggy

ziggy New Member

is it dialup

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I think we have LAN, but we also have one of those airport things to go wireless to a laptop, but that's not the one my son plays games on. I'm looking into this router signal thing, as soon as I figure out how to find what ours is...

Thanks for your suggestions, but isn't this a puzzler??

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sirch

Sirch Member

i know that happens at my friends house (the signal interference)
    whenever we're playing games via wireless internet and the phone rings have have to stop until its hung up