Ohio

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by xith, Oct 24, 2004.

1. xith

xith Embryo

Are there any laws or papers you need to ship or be shipped certain reptiles in Ohio? I've looked in various part of the internet and can't find anything really, anyone else hear anything?

Thanks,
    xith

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Contact your states Fish and Wildlife department.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Contact ODNR (Ohio Division of Natural Resources). They'll be able to help. One thing I can tell you, if the animal is native to Ohio and meets the size and age criteria, it has to be PIT tagged.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ladyrideroh

ladyrideroh Embryo

Xith:

Did you ever find anything out? I currently have two reptiles. One is a bearded and the other is an albino green burmese python. Aphrodite will get to be around 15 feet long. If you found out anything and care to share, I would sincerely appreciate it!!

Thank you,
    Val
    in NE Ohio

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PythonStriker67

PythonStriker67 New Member

Well in colubus,ohio i hear the limits 12/ft but its not enforced as there is a pet store here that sells lots of huge snakes that will grow past that size as the owners wife told me there they are not going door to door with a tape measure so just dont take your reptiles you own outdoors to parks & or show them off to friends & neighbors because you think it would be cool & you should be fine!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. General48

General48 Member

i also live in ohio please share what youve found out

12. lizerdtoung

lizerdtoung Embryo

i live in ohio and want a black rat snak,in order to get it i need a non comercial propagation permit ,also the snake dose have to be pit taged witch can be put in by your vet and can be purchased at the odnr for a minimal amount of money and the cost of the vet visit,not shure if the permit cost anything ill let you guys know

13. Kayla Johnson

Kayla Johnson New Member

Any updates on the size restrictions in Ohio? My retic is pushing 20'+ he doesn't go out in public any more of course but I'm still wondering if I should be concerned or need to register him with the ODNR?

14. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hi, Kayla. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the size regulations requiring microchips only apply to native
    species. There are also regulations about bringing non-native species into the state, but those are pretty much the only regulations as far as exotics go.

The best way to find out for sure would be to contact the ODNR directly. Here's a list of contact information from their website:
    http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/10750/default.aspx

Edit: I also know there is a proposed law that would ban all exotics, but it has not been put into effect. Let's hope it never makes it past proposal...

15. Kayla Johnson

Kayla Johnson New Member

Thank you for the update! I was aware of the proposed ban on exotics, but with the current amount of exotic owners in the state I think we can keep it from going into effect... hopefully anyway!

16. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Agreed! I'd definitely be writing some serious letters if I thought the law was a real threat at this point, lol. I do foresee certain species being banned in the future, but I'm hoping they will make it so that a proper permit will still allow ownership by responsible caretakers....but who knows?

17. ajveachster

ajveachster Embryo

Personal opinion is that I think some of what saved us the last time is that the restrictions were tagged onto the end of legislation that was written mostly for the agricultural industry. There are still a lot of farmers in the state, and I think they were the most influential in getting the legislation to fail. Also, there was a change in office. Thanks Cammy for the link. I'm sure that will help a lot of people.