Oldest living turtle ever!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by kherp, Nov 9, 2005.

1. kherp

kherp New Member

I recently saw that a giant Galapagos land tourtise has lived to 175 years old! this tourtise is in astralia zoo and is said to have been darwins personl friend.

Dose aybody know the record for the oldest living box turtle? Just wondering!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I once heard a story about a radiated tortoise from Madagascar, that was given to the Tonga royal family by Captain Cook in the 1770s. It died in 1965 which would have made it almost 190 years old!

As far as longevity in box turtles... I'm not too sure. I have 2 of them at home myself and I know they can sometimes live for 120 years, although I don't know what the current record for them is.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

I read that story about the galapagos! Crazy eh? Havent heard anything about the oldest Boxie

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leoloz_225

Leoloz_225 New Member

Its actualy a giant Galapagos land tortoise not a turtle.Turtles are amphibias where as tortoises stay on land.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I just saw a story on ABC this morning about that Galapagos Tortoise (Harriet). Who apparently celebrated her 175th birthday today. (How the know the exact day... I don't know). They gave her a pink hibiscus flower "cake" to eat. I think that's just adorable!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Leoloz_225

Leoloz_225 New Member

Yes thats the one the post is about lol

12. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Love the cake idea. I guess they just picked a day that they thought was good for the birthday!

13. kherp

kherp New Member

they have records of when the turtle was around this is how they figure out the age and when it was born.

14. Leoloz_225

Leoloz_225 New Member

Lol ITS A TORTOISE NOT A TURTLE also its also thought to be the oldest living animal on the earth at this time.