Once my corn snake grows into an adult should i feed her live mice? Or stay frozen?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by XBellaxMuerteX, Jan 18, 2010.

1. XBellaxMuerteX

XBellaxMuerteX Embryo

Will it make her more aggressive? I was wanting to feed her frozen because someone said if shes kinda hungry she'll bite your hand thinking it is a mouse
    I dont want her to be aggressive i want to be able to hold her..
    And how much should you handle your corn snake? I dont want to bug her..
    Im just trying to make sure i do things correct..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

ill always suggest frozen or prekilled food for any rodent eating snake for a number of reasons.

dead food doesnt fight back and cant hurt your snake

frozen is free of parasites and is alot cleaner

frozen is easier to digest

and its alot cheaper and easier to deal with on your part.

the only reason to feed live food to a snake is for research or if the snake will take nothing else. also ive never heard of a snake being more of less aggressive based on whether or noth they eat live food

i hold my sister's corn right before i feed him and he seems pretty ok with it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I would definately stick with the frozen food. It's just healthier and more beneficial all round. Not to mention the costs etc. Here in the UK its actually illegal for us to feed live mice, unless the snake's life is at risk. I myself believe that is the only time they should be fed live personally.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Oh, and i forgot to mention, welcome to the forums!!! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. yoluke

yoluke Embryo

always feed frozen.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mattie_girl

mattie_girl New Member

My corn is about 5 feet long and is 6 years old. He has eaten frozen mice his whole life. When he got big enough to eat rats, I tried to switch but he refused to eat them. I feed him 2 or 3 adult frozen mice every 2 to 3 weeks. Even if he goes 3 weeks, he never confuses my hand for the mice. I always feed him in a white bucket so he never associates eating with being in his normal space - eating is associated with the bucket. Once he eats a couple of mice, I reach in and take him out of the bucket and he has never confused my hand with a mouse.