One very hungry snake - huge meal (**FEEDING PICTURES**)

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by stevetims, Apr 7, 2005.

1. stevetims

stevetims New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful scrub python. However i believe the pics are fakes. If you look closely, you can see that the "prey" (a wallaby I assume) gets smaller, a lot smaller, as he swallows it. Plus, on the fifth pic, you can see how distorted the part of the snake closest to the "camera" is compared to the wallaby. It's very well done, but not real. Physically impossible to say the least.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I don't know, biochic. It looks pretty authentic to me. I've been fooled before, though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

Tell me you're being sarcastic...please.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. improvius

improvius New Member

It's real. I think all of us who have fed a snake know that the prey gets compacted somewhat as it is swallowed.

The shots are consistent from every angle, and I don't see whatever distortion you're referring to. Even assuming someone were to make a photoshop of this, why would they take the time to make such perfect details on *13* pictures?

-Imp

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

Nope. I've seen snakes have bulges that big before. Also, you have to keep in mind when the snake eats the prey, the prey will appear to become smaller in diameter since it's being stretched length wise. I'm not saying for sure it's real by any means I'm just not totally convinced it's fake.

12. wideglide

Great minds do think alike!!

13. Oscar

Oscar Member

I know I have offered mice to my corn with the thought of there's NO way he's eating that, only to have him eat it, and yeah, the bulge looks alot smaller than the original prey even as its feet and tail is sticking from Kahs mouth....

Like Rob, not saying for sure it is real, but I can see how it could be...

14. biochic

Sorry guys...I understand about the bulge...I'm not stupid improvius...I've worked with plenty of snakes of all sizes. But I'm just not convinced that that snake in that particular pic is real. I'm not trying to make anyone agree with me...that's just my opinion, but some areas in the pics do seem distorted to me.

15. wideglide

Well you can call me stupid because I'm not even sure what "improvius" means. :)

16. biochic

LOL

17. wideglide

Now you can call me even more stupid because, and I really shouldn't even admit this, I thought improvius was part of what you were typing, biochic! Like "stupid improvius" was some kind of phrase or something I hadn't heard before. Now I see that it is that person's username. Tomorrow is Friday, right?

18. Oscar

Oscar Member

yesh.... paint me stupid too Rod... I thought the EXACT same thing, actually just had to scroll back up and comfirm it was a user name....

19. wideglide

Well I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one so thanks!

20. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

It looks entirely real, I see no evidence of tampering whatsoever...that is an awfully huge prey item for that snake, but he managed to get it down, all right....
    It does amaze me that that snake looked at that wallaby and decided "I can eat that!". <lol>
    He's not going to be able to move much after that meal....not for a long time.
    I don't think it is worth his while, if he's a wild snake...something will come along and force him to disgorge it just so he can flee.
    It's actually QUITE a large snake...just not very big around, for what it's eating. Look at the length. You can clearly see that the wallaby's going to wind up well away from the throat and esophagus after it's been completely swallowed.

Rather than any deliberate deception, I think a couple of the shots may make the wallaby look a bit larger than it actually is, due to the camera angle, as well. The second shot does that.

Snakes CAN swallow prey items more than twice as big around as their body...what he's doing is amazing, but not unheard of by any means.

21. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

I do know carpet pythons eat wallaby's in the wild so it's completly possible and the pic looks real to me.

22. kavinos

kavinos Member

I think the pics genuine.

23. biochic

I'm sure it's possible...it's just the pics don't look quite right to me for whatever reason. You know...you get these emails with these so-called 'amazing' pics in them, whether they be ghost photos or what not, and you have to wonder why they were sent out to begin with. 99% of the time they are fake. I think that's one reason I doubted that these were real.

24. wideglide

I know what you mean. Everyone in the office sends the pics to me before anyone else now because in the past they'd send them to other employees at the same time as me and I'd point out how fake they were to every recipient. I can't really remember when the last time I had a genuine "amazing" or "having a bad day" pic someone sent to me.

25. bactmike

bactmike Embryo

Those are some crazy pics. I can understand biochic's doubts, even though I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were real. One thing though, I noticed the original author himself hasn't had one comment about this since he posted...hmmmm.... makes ya wonder. Peace ya'll

-Mike