Online Mealies

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by mythdragonlover, Nov 3, 2004.

1. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

I was wondering, does anyone know a GOOD and SAFE place to buy mealworms off of online? I would like to have cheap prices and good grain if possible.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JStrider

JStrider Member

i got mine at nyworms.com ... $15 for 1000 worms... including shipping... they shipped them in a box that had a bag that had crinkled up newspaper in it... I just dumped the worms into the box i had prepared for em... let em gutload for a few days and started feeding my leo with em...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

If you're looking for good grain, I have heard that cricketfoods.com has excellent mealie bedding/food. I don't keep mealies in bulk so I just buy little bags of gutload at a local store so I don't know first hand, but this site is supposed to be really good for cricket food and mealie food.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mythdragonlover

Does it come iwth mealies too?

I'm going to try and breed them if I can. I'm tired of wasting my money on pet stores taht over price you. They barely have mealies in stock, and when they do I buy 2 cases of them, which is 100 mealies, and it coast 5 bucks without the tax and cents.

So I figured I'm done. I'm buying online where I can get 10 times the amout for double the price, and also no worries about none in stock. Because this week I needed them badly and they didn't have any. So I had to buy crickets and I bought 50 of them for 10 cents a piece. It coast 5.41 excatly.

I just don't have the money to spend that much on mealies when I can get it for a better price.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

www.grubco.com

Their mealies are very high quality. I started my colonies with their mealies. If I am not mistaken 1000 is $10 shipped.

www.porgeckos.com has the mealworm bedding/gutload that I use. It is a little pricey counting shipping but 5 pounds will go a very long way. Several months. All you need to do is put enough bedding/gutload in their tub to completely cover them....maybe 3/4 of an inch deep.

If you want help breeding just let me know. You know I am more than happy to help you out in any way I can, bud.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mythdragonlover

Thanks Sharp! I heard a while back that chicken/turkey feed is one of he best gut loading things to use. Is it true? Because I could easily get some (and I've also heard its like $10 for 50 pounds).

I'm going to try and breed them, but I don't know how well that will go. I may just keep buying them, but that is a lot cheaper than what I've been doing anyway.

I'll decide on what I'm doing when I get them (if I get them, which I'mn 90% sure I will).

12. shrap

I really do not have any info on the chicken/turkey feed. I have never dealt with it before or done any real research on it. The price is right though!!!

13. JStrider

JStrider Member

ive heard that a lot too... would try it myself except living in the dorms i dont have a place to store 50lbs of stuff... i found a site that had a nutritional breakdown of it...
    http://bluebonnetfeeds.com/egg-booster-16-...bles-4008.shtml
    there were 2 different types at that site... the main difference was the amount of crude protien...

if i can figure out a way to store that much maybe i'll buy some and see how it works... nowhere here sells it in anything smaller then 50lb bags...

14. mythdragonlover

Well, if I buy online I'm going to trythat turkey/chicken feed. Thanks for information, JStrider, but the site didn't work for me...

Now I have a question... How big of a tub or whatever should I have to keep the mealworms in?

15. JStrider

JStrider Member

i keep my mealies in a 12 qt sterilite container...

heres the stuff from the turkey breeder site that wont work for ya...
    Guaranteed analysis
    Crude Protein ____ Minimum ___________ 16.00%
    Lysine ___________ Minimum ___________ .75%
    Methionine ______ Minimum ___________ .32%
    Crude Fat ________ Minimum ___________ 2.00%
    Crude Fiber ______ Maximum___________ 9.50%
    Calcium ___ Minimum 3.00%; Maximum _ 4.00%
    Phosphorus ______ Minimum ___________ .50%
    Salt _______ Minimum .45; Maximum ___ .95%
    Sodium __________ Minimum __________ .50%
    Zinc _____________ Minimum __________ 100 ppm
    Manganese ______ Minimum __________ 120 ppm
    Copper __________ Minimum ___________ 12 ppm
    Vitamin A ________ Min. per lb. ________ 2,000 I.U.
    Vitamin D3 _______ Min. per lb. ________ 800 I.U.
    Vitamin E ________ Min. per lb. ________ 12 I.U.
    Riboflavin ________ Min. per lb. ________ 2 Mg.
    d-Pantothenic Acid Min. per lb. ________ 6 Mg.
    Thiamine ________ Min. per lb. ________ 3.1 Mg.
    Niacin ___________ Min. per lb. ________ 30 Mg.
    Vitamin B-6 ______ Min. per lb. ________ 2 Mg.
    Choline __________ Min. per lb. ________ 500 Mg.

and the ingredients

Corn Meal, Ground Oats, Corn Chops, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat
    Middlings, Rice Bran, Plant Protein Products, Dried Whey, Brewers Dried
    Yeast,YeastCulture,RoughageProducts,SaccharomycesCerevisiaeYeast,
    Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus
    Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Bulgaricus Fermentation
    Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus
    Cremoris Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Diacetylactis
    Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried
    Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation
    Product, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Colostrum Milk Product, Lecithin,
    Wheat Germ Oil, Soybean Oil, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement
    (Stability Improved), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement,
    Choline Chloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate,
    Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin
    B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Cellulose Coated Ascorbic Acid
    (Vitamin C), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K
    Activity), Monocalcium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride,
    Salt,MagnesiumOxide,FerrousSulfate,ManganousOxide,CopperSulfate,
    Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

16. mythdragonlover

Ok, thanks!

17. mythdragonlover

I got my mealies any everythng yesterday. Everything is going good. It's just taht I wish they packed the mealies someother way, it took me about an hour to get them all into they're tuperware box thing, and a bunch of mealies got thrown in places when I tried to get them off the news paper (I picked all the mealies up, my mom was going balistic about them too, hahahaha).

18. shrap

Here is a tip for you Myth.

Next time you order mealies, do not open the box. Put the box in the fridge for a couple of hours first. The mealies will start to hibernate and become inactive. Then you will be able to easily transfer them to your tupperware container. Sorry I did not mention that before.

19. mythdragonlover

It's ok! And thanks for the tip! I'll be going that later! But i think they were kind of already in that state, I had them in my gorage for a while which is pretty cold.