Orlando people

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by 91foxbody, Dec 2, 2006.

1. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

I don't know how many of you guys are from Orlando, specifically the Eastern part of town. I had to say something about a store I've been to twice. It's off Semoran, just past...darnit, I can't think of the name of the road. Not University, and not Red Bug, but the next one over. It's called Pet Bazaar. I went there once about a month ago to try and help out a friend who needed to find a home for his iguana. The way the animals (mainly herp's) are being treated, is terrible. Needless to say, his iggie didn't go there.

4 out of 5 baby normal leo's had dropped their tails recently. There were 3 albino leo's that were MAYBE 3 weeks old, with nothing but a huge "half a tree" hide, and some paper towels. 8-10 month old beardie's kept in 20 gal cages. Nile monitors in a 3x2x2 wooden cage with a water bowl and wood shavings. Every reptile was trying to claw it's way out of the cage (one BD was even head-butting its cage trying to get out). I bought a food bowl for my leo, and left in digust. I won't be giving them my business ever again.

Just wanted to let you guys know. It's pretty bad.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jbgood

jbgood New Member

I don't know if you realize this or not...but they are not an animal rescue...your "friend" should be responsible and take care of his own animal...

Also you need to remember that pet stores are only temporary homes for animals. therfore you should expect them not to be kept in luxury but rather in adequade caging...those savanna monitors you spoke of were how long?? 12" at max? They do have several larger monitors that are in small cages...only due to space restrictions. BUT if you noticed they are fairly responsible in their practice on not selling animals to people who are not prepared to take care of them because they are cute when small...such as large snakes, monitors, IGUANAS... If you actually talk to them they are fairly knowledgeable about the animals they sell. i have bought several VERY nice animals from there (Bearded Dragon, Ball Python, and Green Tree Python).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

I understand that they are not an animal rescue. Please do not criticize me.

My roommate bought an iguana thinking it was cute, and kept it in a 10gal cage with no heat lamp, eating lettuce only. Because I have a clue about reptiles, unlike him, I urged him to give it away/take it back to the petstore he bought it from. He simply called around to certain places to see if they would take it, and I tagged along to give him help/advice.

There nile monitor (dont remember exactly) was in the 6 foot range, kept in a 3x3x2 space. It used to be in a metal dog cage on the side of the shop. Please, PLEASE tell me that's responsible care. The savannah was 24+ inches, and the black throat was in the 3-5 foot range, in a similar enclosure.

4 out of 5 leo's had lost toes and dropped tails. The albino leo's were MAYBE 2-3 weeks old. That's old enough to be sold? The cages were covered in feces, and most didnt have food or heat. Forget water bowls. Again, PLEASE tell me that is proper husbandry. Even temporary. How about 3 Mali Uro's in a 10 gallon cage?

I would never buy an animal from there. Ever.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jbgood

jbgood New Member

I did not mean to sound like i was attacking you...i just hate irresponsible pet owner who criticize other for their husbandry of animals.

i am sure that they would have taken better care of your roommates iguana than it sounds like he did...

also i do agree that the cages (it was an iguana cage, not a dog cage) they have the large monitors in are too small but do they look like they have room for 8x4x3 cages? or 8X6X3....again they are temporary homes for them...Also if you notice most of those large monitors you mentioned are returns (like the igauana) at least they have a place to go where they can be cared for until they can be hopefully be provided a permanant home by a responsible owner.

Also i have been in there numerous times and RARELY ever see any feces in the cages much less COVERED in it... and if you look they actually do have heat lamps on ALL there cages and have UV on 95% of them...

and where you buy your animal from is completely up to you...to each his own...Where did you get your leo from PetCo or PetSmart? I know they take MUCH better care of there animals........(that is a joke in case you did not know...)

P.S. - I think that there is an iguana rescue in Sanford...maybe he should try there...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

A joke? What a sense of humor you have. That is just plain rude. I bought my leo from a breeder out of state. Sorry for trying to spread the word about a petstore that treats their animals inhumanely, I realize that I was out of line, and you know more than I could every hope to. Please forgive me. I am not worthy of your grateness :roll:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jbgood

jbgood New Member

that makes two of us....

12. Lintrap

Lintrap New Member

On a side note....

My leopard gecko came from Pet Bazaar, she is now 9 years old, fat and healthy. Original tail and all.

2 of my snakes also came from them, along with several tarantulas and scorpions.

They are only pet store in town that I will actually buy from.

Guess it comes down to what you want to see.

13. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

I popped in there a couple weeks ago to get some crix because my mail oreder was going to be later than I needed feeders... anyway, the store looked pretty darn clean (for once) and they had some damn cool snakes and a big selection at that... even had a jaguar carpet python. Far different from my other experiences with Pet Bazaar. I do know of the conditions that the original poster is describing... although, those monitors outside in the wire cages are there for only a couple hours to get some basking in some real sun. The staff is knowledgable, yet they sometimes really let the store go to crap, litterally. I have a boa constrictor that I bought there about 5 years ago, but I would never again buy an animal from that store unless it was a feeder, mainly because I have better connections here on the web to quality animals to ever pick one up in a reptile store... well, then there's a whole 'nother story about living in Deerfield Beach and being able to shop at Ben Seigle's... now there's a shop that's worth spending your hard earned cash in.

14. Jeff

Jeff Embryo

Pet Bizaar is the best reptile shop you're going to find. They always have taken good care of their herps from what I've seen. The owner (Dude with the long black hair) doesn't know everything, but he will try to help out if he knows what to tell you. I've seen him refer people to different books/websites when they want to know something he doesn't know. All in all, I'd say that place is pretty good for a pet shop.

15. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

iv been there once and it was preaty cool and i seen the croc monitor they had there he was a big boy

16. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

I suggest that people start watching their attitudes and reread you post BEFORE you hit enter, Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but NO ONE is allowed to call others names and made rude comments about them OR others, This is a warning to cut it out and behave like adults or you will be treated like adults that can not control their actions and need help doing that.

17. blckSRT4

blckSRT4 New Member

I've had nothing but good experiences at Pet Bazaar. While it is a small store, I think they do their best with what they have. The workers are always friendly and if one worker doesn't know something then the other one does. I got my leos from there last month. While I was there I was checking all the leos out and none had missing/regrown tails. None were missing toes. They were pretty young maybe 3 weeks...but that isn't their fault. That is the breeders fault for letting them go so early. The worker told me to supplement the food with dusting, keep calcium in the dish, don't use sand, etc. Tell me of a better reptile/arachnid store in east Orlando...

18. baronofhell

baronofhell New Member

If you guys are looking for a pet store to bash, visit Pet Safari on the corner of 1792 and 434. I've been there a couple of times and I was disgusted. A ball python was so skinny you can easily see his spine and ribs, a couple of amazon tree boas were going through a really bad shed, a couple of different enclosures had water dishes that appeared to be dry for a couple of days. They also had a boa(a very robust one I might add)that appeared to be around 6 feet in a 55 gallon tank(long, tall skinny type), I know it's just a temporary home for it but I went back to the store a week later and it was still there, all cramped up. Even if it's just temporary a snake of that size should never be in such a small enclosure. They also had a couple of baby iguanas that appeared to be starving, and some WATER dragons in a cage with a water dish the size used for a Leopard Gecko! I've been to this store a few times and the conditions were pretty much the same on each visit.

19. josh_p

josh_p Embryo

I personally like pet bazzar a lot. Very informative on reptiles and good selection. That place is the only shop I trust. I got a corn snake from there a few years ago, and my two brothers also got reptiles there (a corn and a leo). Every time I've been there the staff has always answered questions to the best of their abilities.

20. sp1k3_420

sp1k3_420 New Member

i just baught my beardy from them today. places looked really nice and everyone ive talked to in orlando loves them and says they are one of the best in town. theyhave alot of selections and the guy was very informational and everythign he told me i have backed up with what i have found out on this website. they know there stuff!