Our Reptile Family...you've been waiting on!!

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Collard, May 6, 2007.

1. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Our Reptile Family...you

Yes i have. i rescued a BP from petco and he was infested with them. i kept him in a very simple setup 10g tank with paper towel 1 log and 1 bush. paper towel makes it easy to know when the mites are gone. i used a reptile relief to clean the cage and log and bush every couple days. changed the paper towel out every couple days and Soaked him in a kritter keeper with luke warm water once a day or every 2 days for about 10 mins at a time. after about 2 and half weeks give or take a day or 2 he was clean. and he was INFESTED so thats not to bad.

Sorry to hear they have Mites :-( so far you have done the best thing. isolate them from your other snakes and reptiles. Even though your other ones are not showing any mites and you have removed the ones with them from the area. i would recommend checking them as well and cleaning there tanks out just as often as the ones with them. those little buggers can hide real good heh. Good luck let me know how it goes.

As for the mice part. i know what you mean i lived in an apartment when i breed them for the first time and WOW! the smell it was horrible and that was with regular cleaning. as for the pinkie part i had no problem feeding them to my snakes after they were born but as soon as my monitor started eating them that was a WHOLE different story. i wont breed them and feed them to my monitor. very brutal.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Collard

Collard Member

Chris has been wanting to get into monitor's and other lizards. He has 2 beardies right now, and we're both wanting to get a Uro. They are probably the cutest lizards that I have ever seen!! The NC show only had one Uro breeder and he just had Mali's. The breeder we buy from has a few Mali's, and we figured we could just get one from them, since we knew and trusted them. We'll prob get a couple pretty soon. But the idea of feeding a lizard mice....umm...I'm not too happy about. I used to hate lizards until Chris and I started dating. He's got my idea of them turned around a lot. I'm actually starting to want to buy a few!! haha =) I am liking them now thanks to the beardie's we have. They're cute and the sweetest things. I think I got my bad experience with them from Iguana's. This one that my best friends boyfriend had, would chase the cat around the house all the time! He was soo mean!!

Haha oh well :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

im gonna try live pinkys as soon as i can find some! Hard to find breeders round here....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. baronofhell

baronofhell New Member

Somebody's rich...or well off at least.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Collard

Collard Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Our Reptile Family...you

If it were not for the one place that we have here, we wouldn't be able to find them either!! We went into SC (prob about 50miles) Trying to find another breeder store w/ snakes b/c we were looking for a GTP before the store we got them from got them in...We found one place that had snakes. The guy had like the fake "grass" carpet....like stuff as a substrate, (which most of the snakes had pulled up and were underneath) With only an in-room heater, but no door to keep the most of the heat in...There were fruit flies everywhere from the lizards...it was sad...Wish that we could have bought them all to rescue them. He only had rat snakes, corns, and a anaconda. It made me thankful for the place we have around here! Where do you live? You could go to a show around there and pick up live pinks!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Collard

Collard Member

Who?

12. dumerillis_1986

LOL

13. dumerillis_1986

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Our Reptile Family...you

i am assuming he is talking about you because of your collection. i guess if you own that many animals your rich.. in that case.. i am a billionaire lol

14. Collard

Collard Member

lol... right...

Because I have all my reptiles,.... I'm poor!!! lol :D Wouldn't trade it for a million bucks....well.....nope...wouldn't do it!! I'd spend the million on more snakes if i did!! :D

I just noticed my GTP's have MITES!!!! Its something I've never had to deal with before...we keep everything soo clean, I don't understand how they could have gotten them! And their the snakes that we NEVER handle b/c of their ill temper! We bought solution and gave them baths with it today, but you can not get the spray in their eyes, and Early has them in the crevasses of his eyes. It makes me tear up, i feel soooo sorry for them!! How would you go about getting them clean (Exp their eyes) b/c when we bathe them they pretty much always keep their heads above water. How do you get them out of their eyes?!

15. dumerillis_1986

What i did was spray it on a small paper towel. hold his head and dab the top of his head and sides of his face with it. you don't need the spray to be RIGHT IN HIS eye. but around it as close as you can get will help.

16. dumerillis_1986

Collard... i need your help! i am debating a Fire Halloween ATB now instead of the Red Sorong GTP i have wanted for quit some time now.. I don't know what to do!!!

17. dumerillis_1986

or a Irian Jaya Carpet. ahhhhhhh lol

18. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

I live in glasgow,scotland in the uk where feeding live is to say the least "prohibited".

19. Collard

Collard Member

I love them both, but our GTP's are aggressive little guys. So are the ATB's but they are so small you laugh at them when they bite you. One of the GTP's that we have will get a hold of the glove and rock back and forth trying to puncture you before he lets go. He's brought blood through the glove. The other GTP we've been handling a little here and there and she's really not that bad, but still extremely strikey. The ATB's are beautiful and one of ours is already starting to calm down a lot. She'll only strike when you're getting her out. But they hardly ever, if ever, bring blood.
    So.... If you're wanting color...GTP....If you're wanting one you can hold....ATB....One that's best all around, Irian Jaya Carpet. We were very close in picking one up at the show, and I hate that we didn't get the little thing! They turn out really nice when grown, and are striking when they're young!!

GOOD LUCK though!! Deciding on which type of snake is ALWAYS the hardest part, b/c we all wish that you could have one of all of them!!

20. Collard

Collard Member

Here's a couple more pictures of the rest of our family!

This is Rocky our Rottweiler & Angel our Golden Retriever
    [​IMG]

Otis the Columbian Rainbow Boa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Layla the Calico
    [​IMG]

My "Baby" the Columbian Red Tail Boa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Collard

Collard Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Our Reptile Family...you

That would be terrible! At least you're allowed to have your reptiles though! NC is trying their best to pass a law against reptiles. A lot of ppl are fighting against it! The verdict was supposed to be today, so we'll see!!

22. dumerillis_1986

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Our Reptile Family...you

oh yeah.. let me know how that turns out. will decide weather i move or not.

23. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

ye its so stupid how the law can be so invasive to how you keep your animals, for example if you have a gravid female that has eggs stuck in its passage youre not aloud to burst them even though it would be saving the animals life! But even though youre technically not aloud to feed live if people have to they will it just makes it harder to find somewhere willing to sell you pinkys.

24. Collard

Collard Member

You should buy you a couple breeders, and have your own! Exp if you have a lot of snakes! You would prob even save a lot of money that way! However, most ppl say that its better to feed frozen. We bought our first snake, Otis (pic above) when he was a hatchling. He had only been fed live, and was mean!!! We asked around to find ways to tame him down a little and everyone told us to resort to frozen b/c they would lose the striking. He's been eating frozen since Dec and he's a lot easier to work with. He's just now getting to where he won't constrict around it, but he doesn't hit things nearly as hard as he used to. So I guess there is good with the bad!! Good luck though!! You should just pack up and come over to the big US!!

25. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

ye i suppose it would make my life slightly easier if not anything else. I am really thinkin ill just breed my own now, got a rodent cage kicking about somewhere....

But i do get the live feed making them aggressive thing, i think it really affects ratsnakes and kind of faster things, my friend has one crazy ratsnake that has only been fed live.