Ovulating (?) Ovulation (?)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Just_Some_Guy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Hi all

When I dropped my 2 Beardies off at the Reptile Shop for a weeks holiday for me and i suppose for them to the person who runs it said she looks like she is gravid then he felt her stomach (well back end) he said no shes not but she might be ovulating.

She is about 18 months I think a bit more she is healthy (that i can see) has not lost her taste for food nor does she want more as there are plenty left, i have noticed hand waving and head bobbing but that happened last year at this time of year.

I was just wondering if you can tell from feeling her or seeing her size you can tell if she is ovulating? (I trust him but i was just wondering if you can because this might help me in future breeding attempts.)

And when is the breeding season for Bearded Dragons or is it all year round?

Thanks James Wright

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

I took mine to the vets and he said they can ovulate and even produce infertile eggs around this time of year, normally caused if with other BD's even females and if they can see others. The vet felt around and said that mine was not carrying any eggs, which is a relief as I think it would kill her as she is small! O yer and this time of year probably would be breeding season. Plus the vet also said... even if light and heat stays the same they can sense the seasons through atmospheric pressure!! :)!! lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Just_Some_Guy

Wicked. shame about your beardie.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryan1990

what do you mean "shame" lol! she only has pinworms lol! but thanks for the concern! hehe.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Just_Some_Guy

Well i think if you think your beardies going to die if she has eggs in her then thats a shame

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

o yer!! sorry, well hopefully she wont be gravid and if she is, or even if I suspect it I will take her straight to the vet! Hopefully she will still grow some though and will make her just big enough to nack it if it ever does happen! lol

12. Just_Some_Guy

Ok well good luck i am going to go back to my holiday. But i am off to the Europes best zoo tomorow and will take lots of pictures. I have 100 digital pictures and 60 hard copy ones to take. For the book i am writing.

13. Ryan1990

Cool have a good holiday, where have you gone?? Your writing a book!! cool. I was thinking of doing that but thought I need to know more about meds and illness's first! but am learning a lot from the vet!

14. Just_Some_Guy

Cool. I popped back in because i got stuck inside misreble weather. I am in Holland. And my book is called Major Zoos in the European Union and i have done most of the major UK zoos and a couple of dutch ones and one in Basel (not in the european union but it was so good).

15. Ryan1990

Could I see any of your photo's from all these awesome zoo's, I would love to do what you are doing! How old are you??

16. Just_Some_Guy

I am 13 and i have been writing for three years i will show them to you when i get home but will have to e-mail you don't want people nicking them now do we.

17. Ryan1990

good point! Thats an amazing acheivment for a 13 year old!! So how many of the zoo have you visited?? Which ones and where abouts? I'll PM you my addy.

BTW. My book was going to be on care for reptiles lol! nowhere near as impressive as yours.

18. Just_Some_Guy

HAhaha trust me mine can be so boring some times.

My favourite so far has to be Rotterdam Zoo the one i went to do. Its pretty good but the information would be better if it was in english as well as dutch. Plus there are a couple of health issues.

19. barti1345

barti1345 New Member

How old are you Ryan? Are you 15? I'm 13 as well! Is it fun writing a book?

20. Just_Some_Guy

Its ok its not the best but can be if you are interested in the subject.

21. Just_Some_Guy

But back to my question

22. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

My recommendation is to keep record of her weight and see if she drops any infertile eggs. If you think you are ready [and they are too]] you can attempt breeding at this time of the year.

23. Just_Some_Guy

Thanks clarinet

I can't remeber what she weighs but i wrote it down (like i always do) in my a note book. I was told that a good time to start breeding is about 2 years so i don't know if my female is a bit young

24. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

We recommend waiting til they are closer to 2 years because although they [almost] stop growing at 1 year and are sexually mature, they 'bulk up' up to their second year. Something females need to thrive through egg-laying and males don't, so they may be bred earlier.

25. Just_Some_Guy

Ok thanks. I think i will just let nature take its course