owner of an australian water dragon? Need advices forset ups

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cyril_Bianco, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Cyril_Bianco

Cyril_Bianco Embryo

Hello everybody:),

I have consulted many australian water dragon care sheet, and they generally show contradictions.

Can an experienced owner of an australian water dragon communicate me the major set ups for the terrarium:

*T° hot place.
    *T° cool place
    *T° general in the terrarium
    *T° at night.
    *T° of water
    * Degree of humidity %
    * % UVB/%UVA
    *Feeding for a 1 year old specimen/feeding for an adult (2 years)

Any additionnal information or advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Cyril.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xToxicneon

xToxicneon Embryo

*T° hot place. -About 80-90. It can go higher but shouldn't for too long.
    *T° cool place. -Mid 70s.
    *T° general in the terrarium. -It can vary but should be upper 70s lower 80s.
    *T° at night. -Can drop to 50, but a cool temp is good.
    *T° of water -They like it room temp, I think. Mine doesn't like warm water.
    * Degree of humidity % -About 50-70%, they can have lower humidity than the CWD on account of their natural habitat.
    * % UVB/%UVA A good bulb is needed. -I have a mecury vapor bulb from Powersun, 100w. It gives heat and UVA/UVB. I also have a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 fluorescent bulb on the other side on my cage.
    *Feeding for a 1 year old specimen/feeding for an adult (2 years) -A mix of crickets, mealworms, roaches and veggies, if they'll take them. When they get older you can feed them pinkie mice.

Bert over at Agama Int. has the best caresheet and he's very, very experienced in keeping these lizards.
    http://www.agamainternational.com/pages/waterdragon.html

Remember to give them plenty of branches, they love that! And real plants if you can, although when they get bigger they tend to crush them. Hiding places too.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

It was pretty hard when first got my australian water dragon. There are very few care sheets about them so I kinda had to play with the temps to get them right. I use the same average cage temp as i do for my chinese water dragons. The basking spot is usualy around 96-97. Any hotter and he wont bask and usualy sits close by with his mouth open. I dont have exact temps right now but i can try to get them if you want. The only heating/lighting I have for the cage is a 100w powersun. Although im going to have to cage my bulbs for the summer when it gets hot, it works perfect right now.
    I dont know the temp of his water... I have it right below his basking spot so it heats up a little more but ive never had a problem with the temp of it.
    I dont know much about feeding for an adult, since my AWD is only about 8 months old right now. But i know that Bert @ agama international (where I got my AWD) has a lot of good info about them.

Ive looked pretty much everywhere to find something about humidity for these guys and still havent found anything. My humidity is around 40-50%. I mist his cage maybe once a day, sometimes more. But he hasnt had a problem with shedding at all.. Very different than my CWDs that cant shed without 60-80% humidity.
    hope this helps