Painted Agama, Painted Dragon, Golden Agama, Golden Dragon

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by el_dia, Feb 8, 2008.

1. el_dia

el_dia New Member

I got a painted agama, also known by the other names in the subject, last month. There was not too much info available online on this type of lizard, and not much here on RR either. So I thought I would share my care stats.

She is still small, about 8-9 inches, and was bullied by her cagemate before I bought her, so she was stressed out at first but is doing much better now. I had her for a few weeks in a 10 gallon tank and recently moved her to a 36x12x18 tank with newspaper substrate. For nighttime heat, there is a small UTH on the warm side with a piece of terra cotta tile over it. There are some great climbing logs and branches and a $2.99 bunch of silk leaves from the fabric store (SO much cheaper than pet store products!) that she loves to sleep under.

For heat/light/UVB, I have a 100W Mega Ray 12'' above the highest perch for a basking spot. It gets to about 95F there, but I have read that these lizards are like uromastyx and could use a basking spot of up to 115F. My rep vet recommended 90F but I think the care sheets she researched were for red-headed agamas, not painted agamas.

She eats superworms, crix and mealworms, all gutloaded on Cicketfood with vita once a week, calc 3x week, and plain on other days. She has a great appetite and is gaining weight readily. She is a bit skittish, but will let you hold her and is calm in your hands, until you try to put her back! when she will climb up your arm and stay there.

I notice she spends a lot of the day scratching in the corner at the paper, so my next step will be to get a rubbermaid container and fill it with dirt (i think no-fertilizer potting soil w/o vermiculite - i don't like sand) so she can have a digging tray.

That's it for now! I'll try to get some pictures up later.