panther chameleon burrowing at the bottom

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by silverchameleon, Apr 13, 2009.

1. silverchameleon

silverchameleon Embryo

hey everyone, ive recently aquired a panther chameleon and for whatever reason shes burrowing herself at the bottom of her enclosure. she was recently housed with another chameleon and im wondering is she maybe pregnant or is there another reason she might be behaving in this manner?????? any and all responses will be highly appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome to the forums.
    I know nothing about Chams as such, but her behaviour is typical of a gravid lizard.
    I would provide a box big enough for her to get into and half fill with a peat/sand/soil mix.
    I'm sure others will come along and give better ideas and advice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. silverchameleon

silverchameleon Embryo

hey bruno,, i appreciate your advice and thankyou for welcoming me to the forum. Im sure well speak again. Again i appreciate it and have a great evening...........

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

sounds like a gravid chameleon for sure.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Ok, I've spent some time checking out panther caresheets, most of which are not very helpful.
    Checked 6 or 7 they dont tell you a thing about egg laying, the best thing I found was, you need a deep box 8" full of damp playsand so she can burrow and lay 2 -3 eggs, it doesn't say a great deal about incubating them. She may turn dark brown or even black that is a sign she's ready to lay.
    Could take 2 -3 days to complete, eggs will dehydrate her so needs extra care as well as extra food vits and calcium to replace that used in the production of the eggs.
    Sorry I cant be of more help.

LINK to that info

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

they lay many more than 2 or 3.. more like 20

you will need to incubate the eggs for about 8 or 9 months... and possibly up to 12 months.

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

That may have been a typo error on caresheet.

13. silverchameleon

silverchameleon Embryo

thanks bruno, the imformation youve given me has been super helpful and even though you said the care sheet isnt very good ill take a look at the link you sent me anyway. thanks again!!!!!!!!

14. Heika

Heika Moderator

If your female hasn't laid her eggs yet, you might want to set up a full laying site. I use a trashcan with damp sand in the bottom of it, and a plant in its pot stuck down into the sand in the middle. I mount a lamp and put the female in the box. This has never failed to work for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After she is finished, lots of misting is in order and some food!

Dig up the eggs and place them in a container with lightly damp vermiculate in it.. I use tupperwares with a single hole about 1/8" drilled in the lid.

[​IMG]

Date the container and weigh it.. add a few drops of water to the vermiculate every few weeks to maintain the moisture level. After a few months, anywhere from 7 months to over a year, they will hatch if the mom was healthy and eggs were fertile.

Good luck!

Heika