Pantoufle

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by mattreate, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mattreate

mattreate New Member

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, and my BP to the forum. My name is Matt and Pantoufle is my 3 month old BP. She was the most active of the litter and seems to enjoy exploring quite a lot. I hope all of you can help me with advice from time to time to ensure that she is well kept care of and comfortable. Thanks alot.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Hi and welcome to reptilerooms! Of course we are here to help....We enjoy pics, so post some if you have them of your Pantoufle!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mattreate

mattreate New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Mr_Goth

Mr_Goth New Member

Hello and welcome! Feel free to ask any questions in the forum :) I like your ball pythons name its very unique :) by the way you got a lovely ball python :) I like your setup too! :D what kind of subtrate you are using?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mattreate

mattreate New Member

The shop I bought her from set up the whole Habitat. It looks like small wood chippings, not really sure what kind. I was a little nervous about it but she seems to be doing fine with it. First question! I have a small carboard box at the moment as her "hiding spot" but she refused to go in. Instead shes hiding under a thick bush of moss in the corner thats facing the sunlight. Is this fine and dandy? Also, how long should I let her chill untill I can handle her? And how long at first should I be holding her? Thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. longjane

longjane New Member

Well you should check to find out if those shavings in your enclosure are pine because if they are that could be bad for your bp. (Too much oil) Aspen is a nice way to go if you will feed outside of the enclosure so your bp doesn't eat some by accident.

I would let her settle in for a week without bothering her so you can try to feed her. If she is stressed she won't eat and that is a huge problem for ball owners at first. After you get her eating regularly you can worry about handling her.

12. mattreate

mattreate New Member

Thanks for the advice, ill try and find out, im pretty sure its aspen. The lady at the pet store was ultra knowledgable. Instead of using her box hiding place, shes hiding under a big bush of moss. Does she not like her box?

13. Caesar1

Caesar1 New Member

My guy changes where he prefers almost weekly. Somtimes it's his hide, others his humidity box and still others under the plants. I guess it depends on his mood and which spots are hottest/coolest.

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

You want your hide to be as small as possible but big enough for her to fit into. They like to feel the walls on all sides of their body. Here's a pic of my blood python and the hide it prefers. Look at how cramped he is in there but that's what they like.

The easiest way to make a good hide is to take the base of a clay pot(not the acutal pot, the base) and knock a chunk out of the side with a hammer. Turn it upside down and you've got a perfect hide. They also come in many different sizes so you should be able to find something that will work.

Also, you want a hide on both the cool and warm side of the tank. In the middle too if you can fit one but it's no necessary. There's also a pic of my ball setup. Notice the clay pot bases in there? He's a little big for them now so there's some other hides in there as well. Just remember to use the smallest, shortest thing your BP can fit into and he'll be happy! :D

http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?se...=view_photo.php

http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?se...=view_photo.php

15. Janice

I actually use the clay pots, with both of our BPs. There is a hole in the bottom, and we make it bigger and put it in upside down, and it's a perfect hide. The entry is at the top, instead of the side. And the hole he goes in and ot of is great for shedding. THere is no way our Sampson would fit under a base.

16. wideglide

I bet if you get a 12" base he'd fit in there no problems, Janice. While they may work, regular pots for small bp's are too tall and the base is a better choice. Again the best hide is something the snake can just fit into, including height.

17. Janice

You can get a base that is 12" Deep? Oh wow. I thought they like the top hole instead. I have other reason for the top hole anyways, like how I feed.

18. wideglide

No, not 12" deep, 12" in diameter. They do like holes in the top but from what I understand they feel most secure in a hide where they can feel the walls on all parts of their bodies. This could be the wrong book but I'm pretty sure the Ball Python Manuel even specifies not to use a pot but the base instead. Maybe try a base next to your snake's current hide and see which one your snake prefers. I'm just going by what I've read (and I've read a lot :D)I haven't actually tried both.

19. Janice

Hmm, I don't think Sampson would fit, he's too thick, but Charlie would.

20. mattreate

mattreate New Member

Allright, its ben about 24 hours now and shes still curled up under this huge piece of moss. Ive only had her for two days, should I try and move her or just leave her be? Coming from only owning a dog who moves around constantly, this not moving thing is making me nervous.

21. wideglide

No just let her be. Chances are you'll see behavior changes for a good 2 weeks or so while she gets settled into her new home. For a minimum of a week only handle her if you must, 2 would be even better. :)

You'll find out eventually just about everything that goes on like comfort, healing, feeding, etc will be a lot slower than what you are used to or might expect. These animals brains are basically developed for pure survival so when things change it can really stress them out for a while. Just give it some time and you'll get the hang of it. Feel free to keep asking questions, have fun and good luck!! :p

22. Janice

Be very patient, that's the best advice I can give you.

23. mattreate

mattreate New Member

Thanks a lot, It just made me kinda worry that she was hiding in the less heated part of the tank under moss instead of her dark hide place.

You said that thier brains are developed for pure survival. Do they start to recognize people (by thier scent otherwise) , or will I be a this crazy stranger picking her up every time?

24. wideglide

No she will get used to you after a while. Eventually she'll associate you with good things but again it won't be in the next week by any means.

25. mattreate

mattreate New Member

Totally understand, I must have patience. You guys are the greatest.