Paperwork For Ball Morphs and Hets

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by jjnuberjosh, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Right, a het is called a het because it carries the gene. If it doesn't carry the gene, it's a normal, not a het. This is why het x het offspring that appear normal are called "possible het", because until they grown up and are bred, there's no way to know for sure (at least not until "they" map out all the BP normal & morph DNA sequences and work out some cheap, easy DNA test kits for babies, heh).

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Geez wouldn't that prevent a lot of people from being ripped off! Probably help the honest, small time breeders a ton as well!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

But when you buy a het, you don't know until you breed it. You have to trust the breeder you are getting it from. They breed when they are how old? 2? That seems like a long time to find out you've gotten ripped off. No wonder the visibles are so expensive.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Males can breed at 2, females you really want to wait'll they're at least 3.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. deborahbroadus

deborahbroadus New Member

That is SO true. We got our normal Gandalf at a pet store and he was sold as normal.

We brought Galandriel from a John Piro, he sent us pictures of her and she's fullly Albino so there can't be any doubt in this case. If I get anything other than an Albino, I will be EXTREMELY surprised! :shock: In this case action can be taken immediately based on internet email, regardless of whether or not they send signed documents.

However, on the other hand, my husband just purchased Aragorn and he is touted as being 100% het for albino. Now, if we ever do breed then I am expecting an albino in the first clutch..but if I don't, I won't go after this breeder in court because we only paid 100.00 for him as opposed to Galandriel who was over 2,000.

But if we find out that we were ripped it will be too late to do anything anyway because in all probablity the person will have already ripped off thousands of people. Any unreputable breeder knows that it will be a couple of years before we find out that we don't have what they claimed to have sold us. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

I guess if I were a small breeder I'd make sure to keep all the records on all hets sold very safe. I can see using these records a few years down the line to show proof to prospecting buyers you haven't ripped anyone off. I know I may be a breeder some day and I think it's just sad the greedy, dishonest people out there have to make it soooo tough on a new breeder to be trusted. Wish there were a way to make it easier on them. Maybe the best option for a new breeder is to only sell snakes with the visible traits and hang on to the hets until the breeder is well established. Makes the initial investment more but maybe it's worth it.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Big or small breeder, I couldn't agree more. I've been in contact with the people who produced my boas (including the visual albino male) to get as much information about them (and their parents!) as possible, and can be sure I'll keep everything safe and stored. :lol:

13. Janice

Traded your camera for a snake! What is this world coming to LOL!

14. HelicopterPilot

HelicopterPilot New Member

Wow you guys/gals explained just about everything with hets.

Well lemme just post what I know. Simple reccessive hets look "normal" ,but have the gene for the hmm lets say albino het. When you breed het to het you get Homo which shows the gene ,which means it IS albino.

This is different though for Co-Dom. A Co-Dom Het has the gene AND looks different from normal. Lets use pastels as my example for now. When you breed a Pastel (het) x Pastel (het) you get a Super Pastel (Homo) The homo versions are a more vibrant version of the het version.

And last but no least there is a Dom. A dominant gene is when the het version looks different from the normal ,but no different than the homo.

15. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Let me just correct you slightly there. When you breed het to het you CAN get homozygous, although it is NOT guaranteed. While statistically improbable, it's possible that you could breed het to het, drop 100 eggs/babies, and not have a single homozygous animal (actually, you've a higher chance of winning the lottery jackpot 3x in a row than dropping 100 babies from het parents and not having a single homozygous offspring). But, the possibility is there.

16. Janice

Means visible?

17. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

18. Janice

Thanks, Shrap. Not being a breeder, it's hard to rememeber the lingo, and what you get if you breed this and that, LOL.

19. wideglide

20. Janice

Thanks Rob. I've bookmarked them for lately. I have to be in the mood to soak up that kind of information!!!!

21. wideglide

LOL, I hear ya'! :)