Parasite this!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by jackiet, Jun 6, 2004.

1. jackiet

jackiet New Member

OK
    We all know the reptiles could carry the disease Samonella, which is quite harmful to humans........
    Does EVERY SINGLE REPTLE CARRY IT?????
    Also, you hear of the many other parasites our reptile pets could carry.....
    does anyone know what parasites are harmful to humans??? like the tapeworm that reptiles can contract--is that still the same tapeworm humans get too???????

:twisted: thank-you

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jackiet

jackiet New Member

still curious

Still wonderring if anyone knows what diseases/parasites any reptile could potentially give to humans, I know of salmonella.......
    but I do not know if it is true about tape worm, and tuberculosis, etc.......

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Last I heard NOT all reptiles carry salmonella. But most do. Further, you can't tell without taking the animal to a vet & having its feces tested.

However, I think its safe to act on the side of caution and treat all reptiles as though they have salmonella and just WASH YOUR HANDS! Really its that simple. Don't lick your reptile, or put it in your mouth, don't bite your fingernails after handling a reptile or after cleaning its cage, don't lick your fingers after either of those activities and you are safe. Oh yeah, don't lick the terrariums either.

Seriously that is a precaution I HAVE to mention. I caught my 1 yr old daughter licking my fish tanks, I don't know why.

Most parasites that repitles carry are NOT tranmittable to humans. Again, though, if you don't lick your reptile or eat its feces, you are basically safe.

Use hot water and antibacterial soap after handling and you are safe.

Sharon

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Sheesh... you have a better chance of getting salmonella on your kitchen counter than catching it from a reptile.

Turtles are the species that carry it mostly due to water, its a gram negative bacteria and can florish in unclean or not often cleaned shells. You can also get it from a bite from any meat eating animal... whether reptile or mammal, human or furry.

Bacterias and parasites exist in all species, are part of their normal gut fauna and dermis, including human....its a fact of life and without them you would not have life. As with many things, they can increase when ill, stressed or the immune system is otherwise compromised..... give a human antibiotics and candida can bloom out of control and become a serious problem....... its a balancing act to keep them healthy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Frankly I suspect that turtles have the "nasty" reputation because of the FOUL FOUL FOUL water people tend to keep them in. Even water changes don't mean much if you don't wash and scrub the decorations. And even better are those decorations that are hollow with nasty stale water trapped inside - prime breeding ground for bacteria.

Sharon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jackiet

jackiet New Member

Thanks for the replies........... I have relatives that like to tell the "horror stories" about reptiles&diseases,...... not that I am gullible, but when I hear the same story over, and over, and over again I wonder if there is a glimmer of truth to it.....