Parasites?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Raziel, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

Hello, as you may have known I have a tokay that i got 5 months ago. It was 20$ In a pet store, very likely wild caught. I have been feeding him steadily for all that ive had him. His tail is bone skinny and he doesnt seem to be putting weight on all his temps are right, humiditys right his crap seems to be normal, not runny no signs of any blood or anything else out of the ordinary. He just doesnt seem to be putting on weight. Im starting to think he does have some sort of parasite. My question is asking if anyone knows the type of parasites it cxould be and if i could help it by myself in any way, ive never been to a reptile vet and dont know how keen theyd be on dealing with a WC Tokay.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. idobi

idobi Embryo

usually most of the Tokay is thin. I dont think as parasites. if you are very concerned about this issue,you can feed it a few deworming.

if you want him to being fat, you can try to fed a lot of wax worms.
    however, to maintain nutrition, vitamins and calcium...
    raising temperature of tank,daytime about 30-34 C

this is my experience. sorry my engliash is not good

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Raziel

Raziel Member

RE: Re: Parasites?

idobi, its fine thx n welcome to the forum, your tokay is huge howd you get yours like that, wax worms? Where would i get deworming meds for a lizard?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. idobi

idobi Embryo

Re: RE: Re: Parasites?

observe its droppings. if no parasites not give it medicine. is very dangerous

if necessary,can ues People's deworming meds, the dose is People's 1/30 or 1/40. I only used for my turtle

[​IMG]

the left one is "wax wrom", I dont know its english name
    they contain a lot of protein. sometimes I will give rats for my tokay

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Raziel

Raziel Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Parasites?

Here we call those supers or kings im pretty sure, the american/canadian (i guess lol) wax worm is this: http://www.beaverbait.com/images/Img4.jpg . How many of these worms (the supers) do you feed your tokay a week? i wont feed mine live, and i tried feeding it dead pinkies but it wouldnt take them

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Feed as many supers as the tokay will eat in a sitting, also make sure crickets and supers are dusted with calcium a few times a week, and some multivitimins a couple of times a month.

Waxworms aren't a very good route to take imo.

Is the tokay eating at all?

12. Raziel

Raziel Member

The tokay is indeed eating this week hes nearly put 50-60 crickets down i dust once a week, i tried supers when i first got them and he wouldnt take from the bowl. He usually take 15 adult crickets in a sitting, ive fed him almost everyday this week usualy he eats 3-4 times a week, he finishes most crickets within 10 minutes in his enclosure.and he never ignores the crickets. I dont understand though it seems like no matter how much he eats he doesnt seem to put on weight!

13. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Do you know how old he is? If hes a juvie, i'd use a similar schedule as leo's ie dust five times weekly with pure calcium and feed daily? If he isn't putting any weight on is he loosing any? If he is losing weight, it does sound like some sort of parasite, and you'll really want to make that extra effort to find a reptile vet.

14. Raziel

Raziel Member

No weight seems to be getting lost. she has gotten a bit more onto her belly since i got her 5 months ago. she ws WC so i dont know, from what i can tell shes a female, and around 10-12 inches, head to tail, so pretty close to adult size she has no scars of any kind though. Shes not losing the weight but shes not putting it on, she goes everytime she eats, never runny, looks like a normal leo one except quite a bit bigger.

15. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

hmm...my tokay is the same...i have fed him pinkies, wax worms (only a few each weekto put on weight) supers, mealies, crickets everything....and he never gained weight...took in samples of his poo to the vet to get a fecal done, and nothing was wrong...are you able to upload a pic of your tokay and possibly a pic of his poo? I have noticed with some parasite/worms you can tell in their poo...