Patch! (super pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ludothegreat, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

I love the name Jen gave him so its staying! But I needed to do some cage cleaning so I thought I would take some pics while he was out. Ended up cleaning the holding bin too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

he's looking good, and I think the name is great... :wink: please forgive my ignorance because it sounds like you posted about him sometime before, but what happened to his side? I'm assuming he was a rescue?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

He's not a rescue per say. I got him from a lady that ordered something else from a breeder. The breeder ripped her off and sent him to her instead and refused to refund her money. When she got him he was already scarred. We think its from burns either a heat rock or a light that he wrapped himself around. I'm going to try and get some better pictures of his scars in the next few days. I want people to see them and know how important it is to have the proper heat sources for there animals.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

That snake came from a breeder?? that is horrible. i wish i could get his info just to make sure i NEVER do business with him :-/

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

The name of the "breeder" is Ed Vellucci. He is with rainforest exotics. He has a couple of really bad BOIs on faunaclassifieds.com and all are the same type of situation. Wrong snakes, horrible looking animals, and just rather rude remarks stating that he did nothing wrong.

Here is her post dealing with him:
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/sho...mp;postcount=12

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dumerillis_1986

Wow... thats all i can say... i think she put it pretty clear at the end of that thread.. completely unprofessional.. good thing i did not order that GTP couple months ago from them.. eh lol

12. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Lol yeah I'm sure there is a lot of people glad they decided to go with someone else. Either way though. I got a beautiful snake out of it.

13. dumerillis_1986

That you did! he is looking fatty to. Any idea on his weight?

14. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

He weighed in at 1101g on the 5th.

15. dumerillis_1986

very nice. What do you house him in? what is he eating?

I have a Female that is about that size i adopted her from a guy who refused to try and feed her anything but Live medium rats.. she never ate and got some extremely bad scars all over her. she weighed in at like 880g when i got her and she is suppose to be 3 years old :-/ she is now in the 1100 range.

16. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

He is in a 30 breeder atm, in the process of setting up a 55 gallon with a nice lid and plenty of places to hide since the person that "gave" me the 30 gallon wants it back now. He is eating on weened every 5 days, but I'm going to try and bump it upto frozen mediums every 10-14 and see how he does. I guess he feeds really well, even crawled out of his tub and snagged a rat that was supposed to be for someone else last time he ate.

17. dumerillis_1986

Re: RE: Patch! (super pic heavy)

What do you mean a nice lid? any suggestions?? most of my balls are in Racks and i have no problem with humidity. but i have no more room in my racks for 2 of my balls and they are in 40g breeders.. i was trying to think of a more solid lid design than the stupid slide on screen top.. the humidity is killing me.. i was thinking a piece of plexiglass thin enough to slide into the track that the screen top goes into but i dunno.. my heat lamp just sucks all the humidity out.. :-(

18. dumerillis_1986

RE: Re: RE: Patch! (super pic heavy)

Then i was thinking i would just buy a 40q tub to use outside of the track sense i have no space but no idea how i would heat it outside of the rack sense my heat tape is in the shelves on my racks.. think a regular heat pad would be ok stuck to the bottom of a rubbermaid? or would it get to hot? don't even know if it would get the right temps i want..

19. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

What I am doing is turning the 55 on its side and making the open part the front. Then from there I am cutting out a pice of plywood that will fit the opening. After that I will cut out two holes for "windows" and hinge/ lock plexi glass over the holes. Heres a quick sketch of what I have planned.

[​IMG]

The plexi will also have ventilation holes and the plywood will be secured with silicone and screwed right into the plastic lip around the top of the tank.

I think in your case a piece of plexi with vent holes might help a lot. What kind of substrate are you using in the cage that the lamp is drying out so much? I am just using shelf liner and my humidity holds really well with a UTH. But i have to try and keep the humitidy in the room rather high at all times for the iguanas too.

20. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Even a regular UTH stuck to the bottom of the tub would need to be regulated with a thermostat. Those things get pretty hot as well. What I use for my roach colony might work for a tub outside of the rack. I simply get a pice of plywood and put the heat tape on that, then set the tub ontop of it. I use 11" heat tape for that instead of the thinner stuff you would use for the rack.

21. dumerillis_1986

i am using aspen here ill post a picture of both of the setups.. give me a min

22. dumerillis_1986

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is the other one.. the light is just a house light. my female is still being quarentined before i move her into it so i will add a light and it has damp paper towel over the top that actually does GREAT with humidity but drys out in like an hour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. dumerillis_1986

i am thinking i could possibly lay it on its side like you mentioned THEN slide a piece of plexiglass in from the top and just pull it up and out when i need to access the tank but then how would i heat... an UTH does not get me the temps i want :-( i do have a rather small one though.. hmmm dunno. i need to buy another rack

24. dumerillis_1986

ok well this temp and Humidity is with no heat source. question is with glass on top what would i need to get the temps to Ball Python standards without a light. anyways on its side the humidity went up from 38% to 50%

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

I'd go with it on its side and the plexi. Then use the 11" flexwatt with a thermostat to heat it. I have always had a problem with UTHs keeping temps where i want them. The flexwatt works perfectly though. Even for my leos.