Peach Throat requirements

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by yesITis, Jan 20, 2005.

1. yesITis

yesITis New Member

I couldnt find much on them but the care sheets i did find were all different. 1 would they they get a max. of 30-35 inches and 1.5 of its length is tail and then another care sheet would say they get 40 inches. then 1 would say you need at least a 8" x 3" x 3" cage?!?! then another it needs 4" x 3" x 2". its really confusing me and really not giving me any info.

i have a 5"x 2" x 2" would that be big enough to house an single adult? I am buying a baby so i know it will last it for a while. but just wondering if that could house an adult?

also does any body know where i can find a good accurate care sheet for them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they enjoy lots of roaming and burrowing. i would suggest a minimum of 5'x3'x3' but i think yours will be fine. i pretty much all monitors have the same requirement, but they need 80%humidity and overall 85-87F day temp and drop it into the high 70s at night. basking spot of 120F is essential for proper digestion

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah and if its not then i will just add another 2 feet in hieght.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. yesITis

yesITis New Member

any 1 have a good care sheet on them?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

They will enjoy the extra height, they will use it as well! They do infact get over 40 inches!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah peach throats are sweet the only thing i dont like about them is how they dont get built and how their not stock like other monitors. they are long and skinny.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

a lot of montiors are long and skinny they are usually arboreal though. peach throats are semi arboreal i found out.

13. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah thats why i sold my Savannah Because I like Arboreal Lizards because you can deck their cages out with branches and make them look real good. This Might be a little off topic But How often should i feed my Timor. He is 12 inches long. ive been doing a pinky a day. Is this to much? should it just be like 3 fuzzies a week. help me out cuz i think im over-feeding my lizard

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

whoa that is way too little. 1 pinkie a day? you should be feeding him at least 2 or 3 fuzzies a day, or you could do it every other day

15. yesITis

yesITis New Member

thanks

well he was gettin a pinky and 1-2 dozen crickets to so its not like hes was starving. Plus ive only owned him for 4 days! alright thanks klik ill step it up to 2-3 fuzzies a day. So im gunna start breeding mice, but breeding mice=Smelly House! I use to breed rats for my savannah and roughneck and i kept them in my attic and it was fine. thank again.

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

no problem. i thought that you were only feeding him 1 pinkie and that was it. but yea he should be stepped up

17. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yup im going to the pet store tonight and im gunna buy 2 pairs of mice..do u think 1 male and 2 females will pump out enough mice to feed him? or should i get like 2 males and 4 females?

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

2males and 4 females would be great. i used 1male and 5females and there was always mice for him to eat.

19. yesITis

yesITis New Member

alright ill try that.. how long goes it take for the mouse to go from new born to fuzzy? and how long will the adult mouse stay pregnant for?

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

As new litters are born to the breeding pair, you will need to remove the last litter into a new tank or else they can get jealous of the parental attention being given to the newborns and kill them. From conception to birth usually takes about 21 days, and from birth to adulthood takes about 45-50 days. Average litter is around 15. id say maybe 15-20days for them to become fuzzies

21. yesITis

yesITis New Member

what shout the feeding schedule for a 5 month old peach throat be. 2-3 fuzzies every few days? Please help me out with the feeding schedule because I am still very interested in getting 1. i kno you will help me out on this 1 klik.

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

every day or every other day it should be fed until it wont readily accept food any more. by that i mean it doesnt go after the food right away. you should do this up until its about a year old. then it should be getting 2 rats every other day. at 5months old i doubt it will eat more then 3fuzzies a day

23. yesITis

yesITis New Member

alright so do u think 3 fuzzy's or feed till he wont go after the food right away every 2-3 days is ok?

24. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

2 days not three. but yea 3fuzzys or until he wont go after the food that fast