PERMISSION TO OWN

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by beardedbuddie, Nov 2, 2002.

1. beardedbuddie

beardedbuddie Embryo

Hi evelybody
    As you might already know i'm from Australia
    do you know if i need a permit to own a bearded dragon in Australia
    and tell me if you have to have one even if your not from aussie
    and...
    how do I get one:D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Your best bet would probably be to check the forum archives on aussiepythons.com. They're not primarily beardy keepers, but I was curious about this myself a while ago, and apparently the laws are different depending on where you live. Some places you need a license, some places you don't, and some places you can't keep beardies at all :)

But head on over there. They should be able to point you in the right direction of a reputable breeder too :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GizandLiz

GizandLiz New Member

I don't need one in the states, or if I do, I don't have one. I am not sure about down under, so you better ask!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Down under they're a native species and they've got funny laws on what you can and can't keep, what licenses you need, etc.

From everything I've heard since I replied to this post, regardless of where you live, you do need some form of license, but what type and how much it costs seems to vary from area to area.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GizandLiz

GizandLiz New Member

I will ask at another forum! Then I will tell you!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. GizandLiz

GizandLiz New Member

They said that it was absolutely true that you needed a permit due to their native ansestry. They said that you could contact your local vet to find out how!

If this is a late notice, then it can be an answer for other Asralians!

12. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Thanks for the info, I knew there were some strange regulations regarding owing them there, but not sure what.

I have read that they are not an endangered species there, in fact, the opposite as they are so prolific.

Can you tell us...... most pictures I have seen of them in the wild, show rather dark brown colors, is that the normal color there or are there a variety? I know that alot of the reds and golds have been breed into lines here, I was curious what there is in the wild.