Petco, Petco, Petco...

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by CornyGuy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. darkbloodwyvern

darkbloodwyvern New Member

good luck getting the job, i wsh more animals lovers would work at those kinds of places...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. babybub

babybub Member

the only problem with working in the petstores is i want to take all of them home...and i dont want to support them! but i would rather work there and make sure they are takin care of there....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

exactly, and if i work there its like there a part time pet...cause then i can see them when im working and take care of them, even though i know i would want to take them all home.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

but then it kills you when someone else sells it to someone you don't know and you never know what's happening with them... the good comes with the bad, and in the end I think it's good to work there and at least put in your effort to help...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

well then at least when you sell it sell it you can make sure whoever is buying it knows the proper care so that they can give it the best possible set up so it can be happy. and the emplyee discount for feeders will be nice for my animals too

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. darkbloodwyvern

darkbloodwyvern New Member

yeah, discounts are nice.
    I just feel bad about lots of petstores, there are a few really nice ones here, a petsmart or petco, the one that allows reptiles to be sold. It is ok, especially compared to one other store that is awful and always stinks.
    I really like this local one where the cage are always so clean, and all their animal are amazingly healthy and beautiful. A girl who works there also does rescue and they take in and resell pets that people don't want. It is really cool! i just wish more people would run petstores the way they do! I just wish more animal lovers rather than people desperate for jobs would run more things around places like petco...

12. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

well any petco will take rescues. from what ive been told you can bring a unwanted animal into petco and theyll ether sell it or adopt it out, i almost adopted a blue tounged skink someone brought in cause they didnt want it.

13. babybub

babybub Member

petco will take any animal for rescue, if its legal in the area...like i live in sf and we cant take any constritors in....it sucks, but thats how it is....

the only thing themo is you dont always get to choose who your babies go to! I work weekends cuz i am at school...so during the week i dont get to see who they go to...

Twixz...our african plated that i raised at work...(when i worked more days...)..i just found out today when i went in was sold.....i mean...really....the whole day was just a downer...i didnt know this lady, eventhough my friend said she "SEEMED" nice...you never know....now his cage is empty and its sad to know i didnt get to see him one last time... you never know when they are going to go.....its not fair...i wish i could make applications that people had to fill out...so I could decide if i wanted them to have the pet...

14. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

yeah that would be awesome but i doubt petco would ever allow it because they would be selling fewer animals then. im looking into getting a ball python right now and im debating wether or not to get one from the petco by here, or buy one from a breeder and pay the extra for shipping, just gotta find out of the balls they have at petco are captive bred, but more then likely they are farmed so i would go for a captive bred from a breeder.

15. babybub

babybub Member

they are farmed...

16. babybub

babybub Member

u live in cali...so do i... they come from san luis obispo.......or however u spell it..lolz....

17. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

yeah, then i guess ill pay the little extra to get a captive bred one from a breeder, i think i found a good place online, www.proexotics.com, there snakes looks good and are decently priced. and are CBB

18. Blake_Herman

I've never gotten anything from there, but I have friends that would pay extra for something just to get it from pro exotics. That seems to me like it should be a good place to get one...

19. babybub

babybub Member

where do you usually get urs blake???

20. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

well from checking around the site it seems like the place really cares about their animals. and since they were started buy that football player that love reptiles, hes in it for the reptiles and not to make money. but theyre animals all look healthy and active, ill post about it when i actually get something from them and talk about how it goes. but im curious where you get your animals from, sowhere i could look into for a ball python?

21. Blake_Herman

I get mine from different places. Like for beardies, we have a few local favorite breeders, but we like to get some from different places around the country because that way the chances of inbreeding are reduced. We try to do the same with our snakes. Since we aren't actually getting to breed yet, we still have to be careful to get our "future breeders" from places that we can trust. Like for example with our female retics: the albino retic came from oregon, the super tiger from north carolina, and the yellow head from texas. We aren't sure of the origin of our male, but I know he's not directly related to any of our females, he is completely different.

It's not bad to have A place you get your animlas from, it's just easier to broaden bloodlines by getting one here and one there... you know? But then you get into situations of who you can trust and having to ship animals hundreds of miles and all kinds of scary stuff.

My business partner, Marcus, is the one that always is talking such great things about pro exotics. I know he loves it, and he's pretty picky so I would assume they are a great place to purchase from.

22. babybub

babybub Member

yeah....i am looking into getting a breeder girl for bub...when i come back from brasil....

23. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

yeah i wont be breeding snakes quite yet, im more just looking into getting one ball as a pet, right now ive been breeding geckos. but maybe after i finish my study abroad ill bread balls or sand boas.