Phil... the Gopher?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Eirecorcaigh, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

Okay, close enough to a groundhog, right?

My boyfriend surprised me today with Phil, a gorgeous juvenile gopher snake. I've always been partial to the species and he knew it :D

We got Phil from Kevin McCurley at N.E.R.D., so you know he's healthy! A little on the fiesty side compared to my corn snake who just loves anybody who gives him attention, but I'm assuming he'll calm down in a couple weeks when he gets settled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love his little face! :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. newbiepython

newbiepython New Member

wow. what a beauty! What a great suprise! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brado

brado Member

He's marvelous. Gratz Eire!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eirecorcaigh

Thanks you guys! Brado, let me know when "Boa-Dog" gets here! I can't wait to see more pics of him! :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

Wow! Finally another afficionado of the genus Pituophis! Great pics! Phil looks like a Pacific Gophersnake (P.c. catenifer). Went road cruising looking for those in the wild, in the southern tip of their natural range, out here in Lancaster, CA. I too love Gophersnakes. I keep 2, a male WC San Diego Gopher and my newest is a WC female Great Basin Gophersnake. Congrats on your new awesome snake!

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Eirecorcaigh

I haven't seen too many posts over here on gophers, which is too bad because they're so neat! He's even calmed down a bit and doesn't slither away from me every time I walk by his cage (that is, if he hasn't buried himself in the Aspen!). We'll see if he takes his food on Friday! :D

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm only getting to this now! Sheesh, am I ever behind. He's adorable but you already know that ;) And Congrats! I love him :D

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

HE (poor Phil...) is great!!! ;)

14. Eirecorcaigh

Yes, he didn't like that experience at the vet... I even saw him cringe as soon as the vet said the word "catheter"... hehe...

Thanks Ash19 and Clem! :)

By the way, he thinks he's a rattlesnake... he rattles his tail and then he strikes out and bites and hisses... but only when I change his water bowl... lovely! :roll:

15. Follow_the_lies

Follow_the_lies New Member

AWW! He's so cute! LOL, *hugs him and gets finger bitten off* It was so worth it! Gotta love the snakes! Congradulations! I'm sure he'll warm up to you pretty soon, he's too gorgeous to stay tense!

16. kinsey

kinsey Embryo

what a lovely little snake!! he is SO cute! just be patient and he will get comfortable with you i am sure. great find!!