Photo Posting FAQ/Tutorial.

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Axe, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

FAQ Updated 10/09/2005

With the new gallery on the site, comes an updated photo posting tutorial/faq.

How do I upload photos to ReptileRooms.com?
    We do now have free galleries available to our registered users, as well as several paid image gallery packages. You can view the image gallery here.

How do I make my photos smaller?
    Well, you can do this in applications such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or even GIMP (which is completely 100% free!). Chances are, software even came with your digital camera that allows you to resize your images down to a size suitable for posting on the web.

But I'm busy, I don't have time to learn these big complex applications just to resize a few images!
    Well, you can download many free image resizing applications on the web, such as PIXresizer. This REALLY easy to use application will resize single images, or a whole directory of them in just a handful of clicks. It's REALLY simple to use and very fast. It's no Photoshop, so the quality isn't as crystal clear as a professional graphics package, but it gets the job done admirably.

What if I don't have my own website to host the images, how do I put them online?
    Well, as mentioned above, we have a free image gallery right here. Alternatively, you could visit Google and search for other images galleries or hosting companaes.

Uploading to the Reptile Rooms gallery will also automatically resize your images down to a manageable size to post in the forums.

How do I upload to the Reptile Rooms gallery?
    Well, the first thing you need to do is to register on the site, if you've not done so already, or log into the site if you are already registered.

Click here if you need to register or login

Once you're logged in, head on over to the gallery.

[​IMG]

If you're logged in, you'll notice some links at the top right of each gallery page, including one titled "Upload Photos".

[​IMG]

Go ahead and click on it, and you'll be presented with an upload form.

[​IMG]

Go ahead and select a category for the image. You can either use one of the specific categories, or upload to "Member Galleries" to only have it show in your own member gallery, and not in one of the more specific categories. If you upload to a specific category, it will also show in your member gallery.

If you have a paid gallery account, you have the ability to create your own albums inside your member gallery. If you have created albums, you can also choose to upload to one of these.

The next option is the file itself. Click on "Browse", and locate the file you wish to upload.

The next two blocks allow you to enter a title and description for the image.

Below these options are two other blocks. The one on the left lists the details of your account, the other is for extra upload options.

At present, the only option available to you is if you wish to be notified when somebody posts a comment on the photo you are about to upload.

Once you've filled in all the details as you need to, go ahead and click the "Upload/Submit" button at the bottom of the form.

After the image has uploaded, and you've been sent back to the Gallery, you will be shown your image.

[​IMG]

If you scroll down to below the image you just uploaded, you will see various links, forms, and other options. Amongst them, you should see the following..

[​IMG]

Simply click on the "copy to clipboard" button, and this will copy the URL, along with appropriate image tags, so you can paste it right into the forum.

In this instance, this is what is copied to the clipboard...

Code:
    [img]http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules/photopost/data/522/DSC_8465.jpg[/img]
    And when that's pasted directly into the forum, we see...

[​IMG]

And that's all there is to it.

If you ever wish to upgrade your free gallery account to a paid package, you can see the costs of the various packages here.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

I just want to add that all pictures should be under 640 x 480 pixels, as per the guidelines of this forum. If your picture is larger than that, please copy and paste the "link" text instead of the "img" text.

Thanks Axe! :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Photoposting FAQ Updated.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. conservationist

conservationist Member

thanks that helped but how do i get my uploaded photo as my avatar?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

yes, but how do you delete images from the member galleries or any other gallery

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shorep1

shorep1 Embryo

I get this error message

kid_pics_031.jpg (exceeds filesize limit)

how can i bypass or fix by pics

12. apokolits1

apokolits1 Embryo

how do you delete images?