PICTURES! [finally] of my sav, leela [dialup beware]

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by clarinet45, Mar 8, 2006.

1. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

i guess my termology is just off again. it just make sense, that even if you make it with sides and top, a monitor enclosure is so big, it is just part of the room sectioned and enclosed.
    good news, i found a good gardening store in harrisburg and will be getting 100lbs. of decomposed granite for her tank and sheets of arcylic from Lowe's. The only way i can have access to this is when i go 'home' with my Bf on April 3rd for spring break. His dad has all the tools and will be driving us home soon after to make the tank.
    What do you suggest i use for the walls? For keeping it off the floor, i was thinking about putting down a layer of cement blocks, cover with a thick sheet of something, then some heat tape, then the tarp and seal it so i don't have any leaks.
    My father [has his own company general contracting] suggests that i check out how much this tank would weigh and make sure my house can support that kind of weight, or put it on the bottom floor or basement. also, he said to 'encase' the enclosure in the green sheet wall. it is build to use in bathrooms and resists mold and moisture.
    ideas?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

I have never kept savs so I have no idea what they're like, but my lace monitors would claw their way through tarp on day 1, hitting the heat tape and causing the electricity to short out.

I'd get sheets of plywood and either line them with FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) or seal them with epoxy (using fibreglass cloth as reinforcement for at least the lower part of the enclosure). I probably wouldn't bother using heat tape on the bottom, but would make sure that one end of the enclosure had powerful basking lamps with a hot basking spot so the animal had a temperature gradient available. For viewing windows, you can get sliding window fittings from suppliers or buy whole windows (aluminum frames and all) from places like Home Depot.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

I used thick ply wood for my first enclosure and thompson water sealed it making sure it was dry and not smelly before putting my sav in it it was reletively cheap and home depot will cut the peices for you to whatever lengths you want for your enclosure. be sure you leave room at the bottom for like a foot of dirt or morefor burrowing. Remember sliding glass windows are perfect for doors on a sav enclosure. Good luck with your building i think you are doing a fine job thus far with your sav and also think you take critisism well, even if critisism isn't needed in this case.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clarinet45

no, actually i'm trading her for a sulcata [my boyfriend's birthday gift]. When you're older and live with someone you will understand what 'compromise' means. And if i didn't love her i would have dumped her months ago, but no, i'm extremely picky about who gets her. I had a breeder offer $150 for her, but i passed since i have heard too many bad things about them. Another was an 'educational' group that just wanted a free lizard. And honestly i've been stalling cause i don't want to 'get rid' of her. I've just been telling brad no one wants her.
    Stop trying to pretend you know anything about me and go harrass the person that dumped a BD on my doorstep in 50* weather.
    And, you know, i don't care at all for her cause i'm not breeding mice for her [i don't have anything else that can eat them] and i didn't expand her tank another 2' and i NEVER take her out for hours a day to get exercise. You know, she's just living in a shoebox.
    Noob.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. clarinet45

amazing, a retard that can type, i'll be sure to notify Guinnes. I'm not responding to anymore of your posts, cause you obviously don't know what you're talking about. how DARE you talk to me like that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rocky

Rocky Member

Clarinet, dont stoop down to his level and start name calling. It just shows his immaturity.

Mutt, you act like your 5, stop the name calling and if you dont have anything nice to say or dont wanna give advice, dont post. Simple as that.

I had to part with my beardies after having them for 2 yrs. Think I wanted to? No. Its something I had to do and Clarinet has to do the same.

Go back to kindergarden Mutt and come back when you grow up. Must feel real tough talking to a girl like that.

12. LedZeppelinFan101

LedZeppelinFan101 New Member

Ya know, clarinet, i've been behind you for most of this, but Mutt did have a few good points...

13. Rocky

Rocky Member

I dont know much about Savs but if he has good points, he should help her out, not harrase her.

14. clarinet45

"I know a guy you were going to sell it to, And he does not have any tort that i know of, But he sure as heck has alot on his hands ' wink wink'."
    and i didn't sell her to him, guess why?
    "Im sure you will not keep the tort etheir once this "trade" goes down. "
    one, it's not even going to be mine, it's a planned Bday gift for my boyfriend/husband. two, i dunno? I don't claim to be able to see into the future. do you?
    "Yes I live with my girlfriend to, Big deal want a cookie?"
    Yes, actually. Chunky chocolate chip, on the double.
    "Many others live with people to that dosnt rule out the fact that you still are getting rid of it."
    Yes, but unlike you i obviously respect my housemates more, for respecting their wishes [thou i stalled like hell!]
    "What is the point of exercise?"
    Said the fat man to his liver disease. Besides it being generally, good exercise, it gets her used to people and me and being on a leash and harness. Not to mention tires her out before i want to clip her toenails or such.
    "You stated that if it did not exercise you would not feed it. Yes everyone knows this a normal practice. "It didnt hit the gym today ill just have to starve it!" Why didnt i think of that."
    That is just a gross mis-statement. I think i know who your 'friend' is and he never offered to buy her, he was emailing ME about how to take care of a sav. and i said he's might be too small cause he didn't feed or exercise it enough, "SOME PEOPLE" think that just cause they don't move around/hide a lot they don't need food as much. Even if exercise is moot, a growing baby sav still needs food more than one pinkie a week. If you are going to quote me, quote me right and don't turn it around, you just look like a fool.
    "Hmmmm now i wonder what this could be from?"
    It happens, i wasn't paying enough attention during a bathe and the tip didn't come off in the shed that week. It's the first time i've had a bad shed with any of my animals in 2 years. sue me.
    "go trash pick" --> i don't understand this term, sorry i don't speak ... whatever you are.
    "a few months later."
    exaggerating again! i've had her for 9 months now! :D

BTW, i want a sandwich with that cookie

15. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

I think it's great you're selling it. I find it frightening that people go to you for advice on keeping their monitors, but hey, that's the internet, isn't it.

Leash and harness, clipping nails, baths... if you do decide to get another pet, please get a puppy!

16. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

More to the point, what's a monitor doing out where there are cars? It's a monitor, not a dog. Treat it as one.

If your monitor had the right conditions, it wouldn't need a weekly soak - it would have all of the humidity it needs where it can access it and its sheds would go smoothly without you having to check it carefully while bathing it. No one bathes the wild ones and they do just dandy, thank you very much.

No one trims the claws from the wild ones, either, because they need them for digging and climbing (just as captives do, given the right cage furniture). If you're worried about scratches, wear gloves.

This isn't an attack, I just get upset when I see people take a wild caught animal and try to turn it into something that any one of dozens of domestic (ie selectively captive bred for this very intention) animals would be infinitely more suitable. In other words, it's not in a monitor's nature to be treated like a dog, put on a leash, having its claws trimmed, bathed etc. It's all unnecessary stress, not to mention demeaning. People get so busy treating them like dogs that they miss out on all of the really interesting monitor behaviours because their monitors aren't given the right conditions to express them. If you gave your monitor a proper set-up and bought yourself a puppy to lavish all of your housepet care intentions (diverting them away from the monitor), you might see things that will give you a whole new appreciation for monitors (ie monitor behaviours).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

do you breed your lace monitors? i love those guys and i was wondering how much one of those would run for

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

lace monitors are just so gorgeous. eventually i would like to own a lace monitor and a croc monitor but i dont have the time to dedicate to them nor the space, not to mention i dont have the right permits either.