"Pinkies"

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Cavemanpets, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

I am in need of a source of pinkies and am planning on getting a pair of the small feeder type mice.... i was wondering if anyone has any recomendation as to what to feed the parents and also what kind of substrate to use.... i dont know if i should use the normal petstore type food or if it would be better and produce healthier pinkies to feed something else? i was thinking maybe fresh fruit and vegies might be good... also the size of the cage i have is a ten gallon and im gonna split it in half one side for male one side for female so i dont end up with a zillion babies.... lol... someone also told me i should have a source of meat too? but again i dunno... any input is great!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Odemus

Odemus Member

i say no meat as that tends to lead to canabilizam...

if you have a male/female i would leave them togeather other wise your gestation periods would be to long to be effective... but then i dont know how many animals you need to feed Pinks to.. if you want more then 1 female 1/2 of a 10g will not be enough room...

a seed mixture from the store with black oil sunflowers and some dry dog food mixed togeather is great IMO..

veggies are okay as long as they eat them and they dont sit there forever... ((mine wont eat freah stuff))

hope that helps abit

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cavemanpets

I will only have two females and almost always only one of them will be bred.. if that makes sense... so should i use a whole ten gallon? I only have two animals who will be eating them but will be giving the rest of the babies to my friends for their herps... also i plan to seperate the male and not let him have constant acess so should i introduce her to him? or him to her? for breeding.... thanks!

thanks Odemus!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

cavemanpets, don't mean to be rude, but I don't see any herps in your signature that would be eating pinkies. Who will you be feeding them too? Seems like a lot of trouble to me if you don't have anyone to eat them. Aside from that I would keep the male and the female together at all times, but I'm no expert in caring for mice. It's been years since I've been around them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cavemanpets

Yeah i would never feed pinkies to the herps in my sig! o dear no... lol ... i am supposed to get a couple of snakes for x-mas and my friends have some snakes id be feeding too... From what i read the only problem with keeping the male with the female is she might end up pregnant again like 24hrs after giving birth.... i dont know if this is horrible or not but it just seems to me that might cause her problems.... i could be wrong though....

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Well, i know that some types of mice have a pretty short lifespan and produce generally large litters. While I'm sure its possible to die from having too many babies, it seems like mice are a little more tailored to producing lots and lots of babies in shorter spans of time. I could be wrong though.

12. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

i keep my males and females together at all times unless I notice any problems my cages are approx. 2 1/2 feet long by 14inches wide by 7 inches tall. My females always seem to be pregnant and sometimes I do feel bad for them but they are always healthy and so are the babies. I feed a mixture of dog food cat food mouse and rat block and mouse and rat seed,and sweet feed they also get fruits and veggies along with timothy hay and whatever else I have lying around. I keep them on aspen and yes they do smell a little bit, it takes a little while to get everyone up and breeding but once they start ohh boy they dont stop. How are you planning on euthanizing them? I have a nice co2 set-up if you would like some ideas. Good luck

13. Cavemanpets

I was given a link to a setup about a "gas chamber" which i figured id do but i have to make room lol... i believe the basics are you take a plastic container sized for the number of whatever your euthanizing cut a hole in the side and attach a tube through the hole and use this glue stuff to make sure the air doesnt come out when i goes in... then attach the other side to a co2 tank... preaty neat! lol

14. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

sounds just like ours, have fun breeding !!!