Please Answer My Question Once and For All!

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by ExSxP, Nov 11, 2006.

1. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

Okay, I'm kinda new to tree frogs, okay, pretty much new, and have an adult male White's Tree Frog. My question is: What is the optimal tank temperature for him? and how come his color has only been brown since i've got him?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

I would keep the cage temperature in the upper 70's to the mid 80's, if you reach 90 you're too hot. As far as the frog's color there are a number of reasons why it would be brown. Some White's are completely brown, to blue, to green, however brown can possibly represent stress. If you give us a detailed description of your cage/a picture, and some feeding/watering habits we might be able to tell you if there is something in existence that is stressing it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

They always change colours but its possible it could be stress.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

mid 80s is too high for WTFs. They do best in room temps. 72F - 78F. When you get over 80F they can get stressed out and if its too warm for too long, they can die.

Whites go from dark brown to light green. Color can mean many things. And if you just got the frog, it could be because of stress, or just because it wants to be brown.

Just make sure to change your water everyday. Feed everyother day.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

thanks guys, i will post a pic of my setup very soon. I guess I'll describe it for now.

He's in an large exoterra terrarium i believe the 18x18x18 one. I have coconut bark as substrate, and have multiple fake hanging plants as well as a fake flower in a pot where he likes to sit. I have a medium tupperware container (with low sides) that is filled 3/4 of the way up with fresh water. I spray him heavily in the morning, and heavily at night, depending on the humidity. It usually sits at 70% humidity, but I'm not sure about the accuracy of it. Right now I have a 60 watt bulb over the tank, that usually brings it to the high 70's, sometimes 80's. He's in an area of the house with very low stress, with the rest of my reptiles. I know he's not fully brown because I've seen the end of his limbs etc turn light green maybe a couple times a week. I just wish he'd stay greener! haha anyways thanks for the feedback!

12. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

What are you using to measure temps? If its those stick on thermos you get at the petshop, they are worthless. I got an infared digital thermo, and when I tested temps with it, my sticky thermos were 10 degrees off. That can mean life and death in some cases.

Heres were I got mine, I have the PE-1

http://www.tempgun.com/main.html

Trust me, they are highly worth it. I even used it to test the temps on the heads of my Outboard Engine for my boat. I use it all the time. Works great.

13. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

I'm using a digital thermometre...i believe its ESU, but i'm not sure as it was given to me. as far as I know its correct, i also have an aquarium therm in there to make sure, its never off my digital more then 2 or 3 degrees.

14. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Just remember that infrared thermometers register surface temps, not air temps. So you are measuring the temperature of nearest object it hits. So you don't want to be too close, especially if the cage is highly decorated. I believe TempGun recommends 8-12 inches from the cage. We have the PE-1 also. Very handy and reliable, if used correctly.