PLEASE HELP ME

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by crookedtree, Jan 24, 2009.

1. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

ok how many times should i hold him every day and for how long?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

I would hold him 5-10 mins at a time and may be 2-3 times a day.
    Has it actually bitten you yet or are you just afraid it might?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i hold my snake for some ten minutes once a day. but i think you should let him wonder in your house or bedroom. just dont let it be afradi because your family or another animal, do it alone if you can :blink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

no he has not bitten me

how long will it take him to trust me or will he always be afraid?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

They generally grow out of it with time - it can take a couple of months to a year or more for them to completely calm down.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. miss_kala

miss_kala New Member

dont worry, mine does the same thing. but so far he has never bitten me. i think he is just being moody and will grow out of it

12. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

ok

he isent eating its been like 10 days.
    when i tryed to feed him yesterday i accidently hit him in the nose with the pinky since then i tryed later that day and 2 minutes ago and he still wont eat.
    is it my fault that he isent eating ?
    if so how can i fix it?

13. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

also when i picked him up this morning he wouldent stop figeting and trying to jump out of my hands is this normal?

14. MimC

MimC Moderator

Give him a day or so, no handling or anything...then try to feed again. I know you are working on trying to get him used to handling, but if he isnt eating you want to give him a couple of days without the added stress of being handled.

And yes,t he behavior you are describing is normal for young corns.

15. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

SO far every thin gyou are describing is normal for young corns.

Give it a few day w/o handling, then try feeding.

The added stress of you handling may be causing it not to eat. Snakes are not very social animals and do not require attention like a cat/dog. I find that 2-3 times a week for a good half hour work well for handling adults. For babys 3-4 time a week for 5 minuts is plenty. It will get use to yo over time.

16. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

actualy he was shedding, is this significant to his not eating (he did eat after he shed) also how long do i wait after sheding to pick him up?

17. bruno

bruno Moderator

Yes, this is significant, although all snakes do behave differently, the majority will refuse food anything up to 2 weeks before they shed.

When a snake sheds it produces a fluid, which is pumped between the old and new skin to loosen it, this is the time you see them go dull or even pink on underside of body, their eyes go very cloudy and cant see much, it's best to leave them alone at the stage as they can get very nervous.
    The fluid is then re-absorbed and afew days later the shed begins.
    The whole process can take 2 to 3 weeks to complete, sometimes much shorter, every snake is different.
    After shedding it's best not to handle them for at least 2 or 3 days to allow the new skin to dry and harden off. As you have found out he will eat straight after a shed.

It's a good idea to keep records of when they start to cloud and then date of shed, you will see a pattern emerge, so you will then know when to expect the next shed, also record of food eaten.
    This can be done simply with a book or if you feel ambitious you can make a database on any office prog on computer.

18. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

He's just young, most snakes, and animals for that matter, react very hesitantly when a seemingly giant creature is attempting to get them. Just use slow movements, and eventually you will build a trust.

I also advise a larger tank when he reaches around 18"-24", a 20 gallon Long or 29 gallon.

19. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

if he is trying to leap out of my hands should i put him down or continue to hold??

20. bruno

bruno Moderator

I would continue to hold, because if you put him down, it means he's won and will do it again.
    I still think it's the pheromone I talked about in an earlier post.
    Try washing your hands with a scented soap just before you pick him up and see what happens, if he stays fairly calm then it's definitely the pheromone thing.

21. Butters1101

Butters1101 Embryo

i would say for now DONT pull him out of his hide. thats his private, safe place. if he cant feel safe there then theres no reason for it to be there. maybe in time when hes not afraid of you it would be ok.

22. crookedtree

crookedtree Embryo

thanks for your help ill ask if i have anymore questions