PLEASE READ IF ASKING FOR HELP -WITH DRAGON

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by CheriS, Sep 12, 2005.

1. msdfam

msdfam Embryo

Please help! I have a big (about 2 foot long) 2 year old bearded dragon who is in a 75 gallon heated tank and is acting very strange. He is running everywhere and sort of twitching his head and trying to run up the glass tank...when I try taking him out he acts very weird and is running everywhere and pufffs up his "beard" when I try to control him. What should I do? Should I be concerned? please help me

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. creepie

creepie Embryo

Bearded Dragons, or mine at least, should have their nails clipped and be washed once a week. Give her fruit vegtables and crickets!

Creepie :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizzie35

lizzie35 Embryo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TwistedThorn21

TwistedThorn21 Embryo

I know you want all that information put in the first post into this but i wont be able to give a full detail of all that till saturday because she's my boyfriend and i's pet but she lives with him and i live a good distance away from him.

My boyfriend bought a bearded dragon off a guy his cousin is dating. He's had her for a little over a week now and I got to see her, her name is Baby, a few days ago. She was really thin and looked nothing like the other bearded dragons i'd see nat the pet store that the guy had claimed to have gotten her from. I told my boyfriend something wasn't right and to take her in and have them give her a look. Well he did, and he had almost every worker in tears, they said she was really dehydrated and had been mistreated. They gave him a bunch of stuff for free to help him get started with her and over the past few days he has told me she has a done a lot better. BUT my concern is that she is still not gaining weight. He keeps calling me to ask me to look up a reason as to why but because I am not there to actually look at her to be able to look up the right information I was wondering if someone could help me.

The tank we have Baby in is about the same size as my fish tank. My fish tank is about a 30 gallon tank if not bigger. We were given crickets, baby food, this starter stuff to help get her to eat, the UV light, bedding, and i can't think of what else the pet store gave my boyfriend when he took her in. The guy who had her that we bought her off of had her in a tank that wasn't very big. Compared to my fish tank, the one he had her in was not even half the size of it but a lot smaller and didn't really give her much room to move around.

My boyfriend said he looked something up when at his friends' house and said the problem sounded like a gastro intestinal type problem (he couldn't remember the exact word) I was wanting to know what could cause her to not gain the weight? She is the only dragon we have and from what we were told she may still be a young dragon but we are not sure. She is active, upon my first timegetting to see her face-to-face she ate two crickets that I saw and was moving around with good speed.

We are still getting everything together so she has everything she needs 100%, but the only question I have is what could cause Baby to not gain any weight if she is eating ok, she's drinking her water ok, being bathed (she's improved since we started bathing her too), and all that. I have tried looking around for people to ask so we can get the problem cured so she will get to looking healthier.

I am sorry for not filling out the application, but I will fill it out once I am able to personally look and observe Baby since I will be out there this weekend and can list everything we have for her and what has been done to help her so far. Again, im really sorry if not all the infformation asked for is here I did try to put what I did know into this.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kevin james

kevin james Embryo

My names kevin and i just bought a bearded dragon 2 days ago hes a year and a half and he keeps knocking his head against the glass he also Tries to climb it online it said to let him out but he wont llet me hold and I've read im sapposed to leave him in there for 1-3 days hes in a 55 gallon fish tank and i have a 125W heat lamp A regular light and a uvb light the reason i have so many is i live in a basement and it gets really cold down here

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kevin james

kevin james Embryo

OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon? Yes
    What area are you located in? Winona,Minnesota

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name: Norman
    Age, weight and length if you know? 1.5 years old
    How long with you? 2 days
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? I dont know his condition My friend said he was turning kinda purple
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright? Yea and i dont know if his eyes have changed
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal? No
    Walking/moving normally? He trips here and there but i think its the tank
    Any physical features that do not appear normal? None
    From Breeder or Pet Store? (this may make a difference) craigslist
    Has he every been treated by a vet,
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know? No
    Basking or sleeping during the day? Yes
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often? I dont know
    If not, when was the last time? Dont know
    Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly
    Alone or with others?
    If with others, what sex"?
    Soaking or misting at all and how often? Every morning

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size? 55 gallon fish tank
    Temps -what do you use for heat? 125w heat light uvb bulb and a regular bulb
    Basking point? Log and 2-3 inches away
    Cool area? I dont know
    What are you measure it with? Temp strip
    What Substrate? Sand and alittle bit of bark bits
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is dont know
    How old? I dont know
    How close to UVB light when he bask? Its right next to the heat light
    What hours for day/night? 12-10
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what? Another red heat light

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change? I dont know
    What size, kind and how many/much insects does he eat daily? Crickets
    What do you feed the insects normally? Nothing
    Is the dragon eating greens/veggies? I dont know i put a bowl Out for him
    What and how much?
    Supplements? Calcium spray
    What kind of calcium/how often? Idk
    What kind of vitamins how often idk
    How are these given to him? Sprayed

12. katkin111

katkin111 Embryo

my brothers and i have 3 beardies, we keep them in our basement. we have a ten gallon tank (for now considering they are babies, we had to take one out it was aggressive to the youngest) are you keeping the humidity up? the temperature should be from about 90-110°F and humidity should at about 20-40% (i recommend getting a thermometer that reads both temperature and humidity, its a life saver) ours tend to run into the glass sometimes, but mainly because they see their reflection. and as for handling, at first i put him under my shirt to get him used to my smell, then started placing him on my lap, if he tried to run i'd pick him up put him back where i wanted him and either put a hand over his back, or place one hand in front and pet of him, and now i have him to where he will cuddle up in my lap and go to sleep (at only 3 moths old) that is what i would recommend doing. it might take a bit longer because hes older but i'd still give it a shot.[/quote]