Poisonous Saliva?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by IggyMan314, Aug 25, 2005.

1. IggyMan314

IggyMan314 New Member

It seems unlikely but possible so I thought I would just clear this up: Is a CWD's saliva poisonous, or ridden with bacteria? That is what my herper friend said. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. waterdragons2

waterdragons2 New Member

No, not at all. He might be thinking of a Komodo dragon.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wizzer

wizzer New Member

i would love a pet komodo dragon.. sorry a bit off topic.. not that i know of the saliva is fine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StockrA

StockrA New Member

i dont think they are, but still you should always wash your hand's before and after playing with him

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xTBx

xTBx New Member

Most, or all, lizards may carry salmonella. So it is a good idea to wash your hands after handling, just as StockrA has mentioned.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zoodweeb

zoodweeb New Member

once a again o a little of topic but is there a way a vet can check for salmonella

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You've more chance of catching salmonella from your kitchen counter than you do from a reptile.

A healthy reptile does NOT carry salmonella.

13. quignoff

quignoff New Member

I've had dragons for many years. Never washed my hands after handling them (except when they got giardia) and no problems. However, bacteria live EVERYWHERE on earth; greater than 99.9% of bacteria are harmless, and many even required for the survival of all animals, so you shouldn't be scared of bacteria. :eek:

cheers, quigs

14. Christina_Miller

Christina_Miller New Member

Actually... There's something like a 98% chance of any reptile or amphibian carrying Salmonella as indigenous (normal) gut flora. Perfectly healthy herps can carry Salmonella, which is why hand-washing is extremely important even if you think your pet is completely healthy. Herps are usually asymptomatic carriers. Not all species or strains of Salmonella are virulent enough to cause illness in healthy people, but there are more dangerous ones, as well, and you have no idea that your herp is carrying it unless you have a test done (which is rarely done since it's a given that herps carry Salmonella)

But it is possible for a herp with Salmonella to get sick from it. Although salmonellosis is relatively rare in herps, it can occur if the bacteria invade elsewhere in the body (ex: an intraperitoneal, or IP, injection accidentally pierces the intestines and the contents leak) or if the normal "gut" flora suffer from an imbalance (ex: overzealous use of antibiotics). An imbalance of flora usually causes a bacterial gastroenteritis (and all the symptoms that follow it: Diarrhea, dehydration, anorexia, cachexia, lethargy...), but when Salmonella invade other regions of the body the manifestation (and symptoms) depend on which body part they invade.

I agree, though, that you're much more likely to get salmonellosis from undercooked chicken that from herps. I've been keeping herps for 15 years and have never gotten sick from them.

15. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Western Hognose there is a strong point that it is saliva not venom that makes you sick but they still use fangs. komodo dragons komodo dragon is highly dangerous.

16. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase, healthy reptiles generally don't carry salmonella that's harmful to humans. :)

Thanks for the clarification Christina.

17. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Thats like saying 98% of the humans carry a bacteria.. they do :) Many species do carry salmonella that is specific to them, but 98% is a bit higher than I ever heard. ITs a moot point if normal cleanliness of followed, same as with ANY pet

But anyway, the CDC states the greatest incidences of Salmonella infections come from contaminated food food prepared in the home or in a restaurant, not reptiles. I remember as a teen my step-mother pitching a fit when my little sister got salmonella twice, and demanding that we get rid of our reptiles as she was sure they were the cause. We actually had the animals tested and other cultures done. It was found in the creases in the kitchen counter the first time (along with traces that it came from chicken. The second time it was found in Mom's pet cat :) Which is probably how it got on the kitchen counter to begin with or vice versa. I can not tell you how disguested we all were that the reptiles were instantly accused of being the problems and not the stupid cat that was allowed to licked all over my sister

The cat had to go, but we got to kept the reptiles!

18. Christina_Miller

98% is a figure I saw *somewhere*, I can't remember exactly. But aren't 95% of all statistics made up on the spot, anyways? *chuckle*

Basically, my point was that reptiles have a particularly high chance of carrying Salmonella as normal flora, as opposed to mammals where Salmonella is usually considered to be more of a pathogen and abnormal. Bacteria is everywhere! That grosses out so many people :)

19. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

I agree there, Salmonella is a gram negative bacteria and those are the ones that are predominate in reptiles, where mammals carry mostly gram postiive. That does not make theirs more dangerous than ours, people that look for opportunities to terrify others with doom have jumped on the reptiles and salmonella routine to try and impose their beliefs on others and discourage ownership of reptiles.

Truth of the matter is more humans have been harmed by mammals than ever harmed by reptiles, so it is kind of dysfunctional.. but that is the society we live in

Yeah, the stats thing is funny, and the more that any written work is quoted it seems to grow in numbers :) but I do understand your point and that was my point that also. One animal can react differently to something that does not effect others, even in the same species...like the humans when the Europeans first came to North America or Polynesia... or US going to Mexico!!! Normal cleanliness and care can avoid most of it.

20. Christina_Miller

I definetly agree that people are at a higher risk of catching an illness from another mammal than from any reptile or amphibian.

The number of zoonotic diseases that herps potentially carry is staggeringly small, compared to dogs and cats. Last time I read, amphibians, lizards and turtles had a count of 3, snakes had 13 (most of which are quite exotic and rarely encountered), dogs had 28, and cats had 35. Working as a vet technician (senior student), and to be completely honest, I am much more worried about my health while working with dogs and cats than herps.

Who says herps are "dirty, diseased animals that will make you sick?" Unenlightened, judgemental people, that's who.

21. WTR_DRGN_MASTER

WTR_DRGN_MASTER New Member

no not venomous but still ahs samenalla